Web hosts that rip YOU off!

JamesCWilson

Have you ever dealt with a webhosting company that didn't even give you your webhosting?

Some fly by night businesses are of such a poor quality, that they may keep your money without even giving you what you paid for!

Thankfully, I have never had anything this bad happen to me before...but I do know it's out there!

During my early years on the Internet I had dealing with Siteturn Networks (siteturn.com) that I will never forget. After their service hit an all time low for me, the problems only started in the form of continuous billing. They refused crediting back and kept on billing me month after month after month, even though I haven't been with them for a long time already. It was incredible. I had to chargeback every single monthly charge to my credit card until the card finally expired.

The most rude service I have ever experienced.

There are websites out there that actually do that.
But customers/users are really thinking their heads of today before joining any hosting company.

I personally look at an Alexa ranking as a metric to judge the reliability of a hosting company.
If Its over 50,000 then theres a great chance that Its not a fly by night hosting company.

I don't think I've ever used Alexa to rate a host. There are plenty of hosts right here on HD that provide great value - that don't have high Alexa ratings.

I prefer to go with better known and established companies over new services these days. I've been screwed over only once with a host so far and I'd like to keep it that way. It's too easy to set up a reseller account and start selling hosting these days.

I have never has such an experience (knock on wood) but be aware they are out there. Always do your research before you purchase web hosting from a company.

Never experienced an issue like that - even with regular products/services, not just hosting.

As far as Alexa as a tool for rating hosts, I don't do that either. If I remember right, I think Hands-on has an Alexa rank of 190,000 or something, and after 15 years in the hosting business we're DEFINITELY not a fly by night operation, we're just not posted everywhere with millions of backlinks and daily visitors to our site.

Yep, Fusion-Hosts Alexa rating is not so great either but I have been around since 2006...I wouldn't call that a fly by host :p I am just like handsonhosting, I have a lot of backlinks and daily visitors.

From Alexa

Hostirian.com users come from these countries:
64.3% India 34.1% United States 1.1% OTHER Less

Hostirian.com traffic rank in other countries:
189,462 India 588,101 United States

The large percentage from India surprises me, but I do see a lot of hits from there on LiveZilla.

"Companies" like that make me sick, its one of the reasons I wish I could (with the powers that be) find the people and smack them with a large, heavy stick.

Places like that give good places (like all those here I have seen) a bad name.

I've had a host that was ignoring any issue that I had. I'm sure they were eager to take my money but afterwards my server spot was left on its own for quite a while! :(

There are plenty of questionable or just plain 'BAD' hosts out there, which makes me all that much more thankful for all the good hosts that I know about. While bad services may never completely fade away, I am hoping they will continue to shrink in number.

I have never heard about this....but with that said, I'm sure it happens somewhere. That just emphasizes the importance of doing a little bit of research about a company before giving them personal information. You need to ask questions like, "How long have they been in business? How many employees do they have? How many clients do they have? What is their facility like, and their terms of services?" It is important to ask these questions so that you know what you're getting into.

During my early years on the Internet I had dealing with Siteturn Networks (siteturn.com) that I will never forget. After their service hit an all time low for me, the problems only started in the form of continuous billing. They refused crediting back and kept on billing me month after month after month, even though I haven't been with them for a long time already. It was incredible. I had to chargeback every single monthly charge to my credit card until the card finally expired.

The most rude service I have ever experienced.

WOW, that's terrible. :(

Sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure most of us already know the pain of dealing with such businesses, I know I have.