WebMoney & Google Check out

domainer

Hey guys, have any of you guys used WebMoney or google check out as a payment gateway before? Any comments is there are any issue making a payment using these gateways or while making a chargeback....

I know with WebMoney there are no chargeback's involved but are there any legal issues taht any of you guys have faced?

I have used google checkout in the past and found that a lot of fruad happened with it. I decided to stop using it and since fruad purchases has stoped.

I have used google checkout in the past and found that a lot of fruad happened with it. I decided to stop using it and since fruad purchases has stoped.

Wow! I have never come across any such issues while doing my research on google checkout! have you complained about this to them? what was the reason, i mean what is the loop hole in their system??

What is a PCI compliance? I haven't come across this term before? And is it applicable for all countries?

One of the most misunderstood requirements as a merchant offering any type of credit or debit card services are the new security standards released by the Payment Card Industry (PCI).

Essentially, the PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) must be met by all organizations (merchants and service providers) that transmit, process or store credit card data. The PCI DSS (sometimes referred to as a compliance standard) is not a law, rather a contractual obligation applied and enforced (by means of fines or other restrictions) directly by the payment providers (e.g., Visa & MasterCard) themselves.

PCI security standards are technical and operational requirements that were created to help organizations that process card payments prevent credit card fraud, hacking and various other security vulnerabilities and threats.

The core of the PCI DSS is a group of principles and accompanying requirements, around which the specific elements of the DSS are organized:

Build and Maintain a Secure Network

Requirement 1: Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data
Requirement 2: Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters

Protect Cardholder Data

Requirement 3: Protect stored cardholder data
Requirement 4: Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks

Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program

Requirement 5: Use and regularly update anti-virus software
Requirement 6: Develop and maintain secure systems and applications

Implement Strong Access Control Measures

Requirement 7: Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know
Requirement 8: Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
Requirement 9: Restrict physical access to cardholder data

Regularly Monitor and Test Networks

Requirement 10: Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
Requirement 11: Regularly test security systems and processes

Compliance requirements are dependent on a merchant’s activity level.

There are four activity levels, based on the annual number of credit/debit card transactions.

In general:

Level 1 Criteria
Merchants with over 6 million transactions a year, or merchants whose data has previously been compromised
Level 1 Validation Requirements
Annual Onsite Security Audit (reviewed by a QSA or Internal Audit if signed by officer of merchant company and pre-approved by acquirer) and quarterly network security scan

Level 2 Criteria
Merchants with 1,000,000 to 6 million transactions a year
Level 2 Validation Requirements
Annual Self Assessment Questionnaire
Quarterly Scan by an Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV)

Level 3 Criteria
Merchants with 20,000 to 1,000,000 transactions a year
Level 3 Validation Requirements
Quarterly Scan by an Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV)

Level 4 Criteria
Merchants with less than 20,000 transactions
Level 4 Validation Requirements

Quarterly Scan by an Approved Scanning Vendor (may be recommended or required, depending on acquirer compliance criteria)

For further information

For comprehensive information about eCommerce and PCI DSS requirements, please visit the PCI Security Standards Council website.

@ Steve: thnx a ton for all the info you have provided with..it is really helpful! I was completely unaware of PCI compliance. thnx once again :)

For all you guys, WebMoney is another Payment gateway which is very popular in Europe, Turkey and some parts of Russia. Some of the reason for its popularity being:
1. a customer cannot place a chargeback on it
2. the transaction fee is only 0.8%

If you use third party payment processor is this PCI compliance required?
PCI compliance is very heavily debated with volumes of differing opinions. PayPal is PCI compliant, so none of the client's credit card information passes through the hosts servers. PayPal Pro, on the other hand, allows you to process credit card transactions without leaving your site, thus you would then need to be compliant yourself as a merchant.