Westhost - preferred plan

Cryptonomicon

Been doing some analysis of plans across the market and have come across the Westhost preferred plan.

This thing offers 2.5 TB a month data and 200GB of disk for $8.00

is this for real? It is disproportionally large and looks like it must be an error

According to their online support its not a typo but....

For example even when compared to their own VPS plans. Their burst VPS plan comes in at a more normal 0.5 TB a month data and 20Gb of disk for $54 pm.

Or am I missing something about Westhost in general?

Pretty much the same like getting UNLIMITED space and traffic on Shared for $3/mo oposing to getting 500GB space and 5TB traffic on Dedicated for $200/mo ;)

Pretty much the same like getting UNLIMITED space and traffic on Shared for $3/mo oposing to getting 500GB space and 5TB traffic on Dedicated for $200/mo ;)

Personally, I would much rather get an astronomical number for disk space/bandwidth then see the word "unlimited". At least it is a number that the company is committing to.

I have been toying with whether to call them premium in my database. My normal rule is plans with clearly defined resources are classed as premium. Ones with unlimited are shared - these guys sort of blew the rule when I graphed them. For now I will treat them as shared under the ceiling you can never reach is not a ceiling rule.

Been doing some analysis of plans across the market and have come across the Westhost preferred plan.

is this for real? It is disproportionally large and looks like it must be an error
Your reach must not be very far if you haven't seen more offers like this yet...

Personally, I would much rather get an astronomical number for disk space/bandwidth then see the word "unlimited". At least it is a number that the company is committing to.
But 'unlimited' doesn't necessarily preclude commitment, especially if the company's particular meaning of the term is clearly spelled out in its ToS.

But 'unlimited' doesn't necessarily preclude commitment, especially if the company's particular meaning of the term is clearly spelled out in its ToS.

That's the thing, I do not want to have to go out of my way to find the realities within a crafty Terms of Service document.

No company can commit to unlimited resources. Not even Roger Federer can commit to unlimited Grand Slams. He can, however, commit to an X number of them.

That's the thing, I do not want to have to go out of my way to find the realities within a crafty Terms of Service document.
What about companies like Site5 who go out of their way to clearly define 'unlimited' right on the web hosting plans page? (Disclaimer: This is not a Site5 endorsement as I have never tried their hosting before).

Not even Roger Federer can commit to unlimited Grand Slams. He can, however, commit to an X number of them.
lol.

What about companies like Site5 who go out of their way to clearly define 'unlimited' right on the web hosting plans page? (Disclaimer: This is not a Site5 endorsement as I have never tried their hosting before).

Site5 is doing a brilliant job at explaining it, but my God, did you see how much you need to read to familiarize yourself with how it works? :smilie3:

The word 'unlimited' doesn't need redefining by anybody; we knew what it meant as children. Adults do not need hosts' telling them it now means something else just to suit their agenda. What is any easier than allocating quotas?

Overselling. You can't use your allocated resource. Because they put limit by the TOS.

Almost all hosts oversell, even the ones with puny hosting plans. You have to if you want to make money and offer a good price.

Even hosts with 1 GB plans put limits on that Plan in TOS which can prevent you from using the entire 1 GB. And their TOS is essentially the same as the TOS for gigantic plan.

What's the difference between being unable to host your 100 Mb wordpress site with the 1 GB plan per TOS or the 100 GB plan per TOS?

But that's paid 3 years in advance. Its $13/month quarterly

Their unlimited is plan is $12 and $17 per month respectively

Last edited:
Site5 is doing a brilliant job at explaining it, but my God, did you see how much you need to read to familiarize yourself with how it works? :smilie3:
Haha. Yeah, I had a look and it was pretty off putting. I don't really need to read what comes off as a long technical manual to get a sense of what is limited in the unlimited. Seems like it might be in their interest to make it more concise.

The word 'unlimited' doesn't need redefining by anybody; we knew what it meant as children. Adults do not need hosts' telling them it now means something else just to suit their agenda. What is any easier than allocating quotas?
Is language an allocated quota that is immutable and resistant to connotation and contextual flexibility? Is that which is unlimited exempt from paradox and jargon? Is meaning always isomorphic to default, technical definition?