What a day! Yahooo!

Freckled

Well I wanted to get in here and announce a contest and got busy and now I am too tired to think, just wanted to say I will get it written up tomorrow.

Yahoo is really competing now, I have had a paid account for email with them for 2 years now and I got an email from them today, they are giving me 2GB mail box now, go figure. Gmail is a good thing. I am still waiting on some invites to show up to offer here, will do that as soon as i get some.

Google, MSN and Yahoo are all getting DOS attacks and so accessing any of those has been iffy all day now.

Anywho just wanted to say hey to everyone and will be over here to chat it up with you all tomorrow.

Hey Jose, it is about that same, I still prefer Yahoo because I don't have to read that mail on the web, Google does have information that they will offer that at a later date for a fee but they haven't stated the fee yet. I think Gmail is great though if someone needs an email account and doesn't have a lot of money to throw around.

Anyone think the email provdiers are really pushing themselves a bit too much?

They have millions of people with accounts, I'm sure not many will fill up all that space, but with so much spam going around and a lot of emails with viruses that may not get caught (And will stay on gmail since you can't delete them) the space could be used up very quickly.
I think it will be hard for them to provide so much space to so many people....

Wow,

So, Yahoo will give 2Gb Mail accounts for free too now? I will prepare myself to offer 200Gb mail for paid (hehe) :D

Nope that one isn't free, $20 a month but I didn't mind paying it so really don't mind paying for it now. I just wanted one I could read offline as well as at the web. They redesigned it as well so I like it even more now.

Tell me... do you really need all that space? How many e-mails do you actually receive and send per day?

People today just want as much space as they can get their hands on, as for some reason they think it's "cool". You don't need much space at all - and e-mails are barely ever over 2kb, meaning unless you've a lot of e-mails, you'll never ever use up the 1GB or 2GB space allocation.

All Yahoo, GMail, MSN, etc. are basically the same - they're all competing for more and more clients. The majority of people who sign up will never use close to their allocated amount of space, which is why the companies are offering such outrageous amounts.

Also, it seems people are going with GMail just because it's Google. There have been many posts about GMail on WHT, and they actually now have their own forum - the majority of people have said they only wanted a GMail account to say "Hey! Look, I've a GMail account!"... which I'm sure is the case for many people.

You shouldn't really choose who you go with, just because they give you more space.

I use Lycos Premium Mail for about two years because of the service I received. Then I decided enough was enough, as they brought back advertisements even on the paid accounts, and I've since switched to MailSnare. Now I use MailSnare because it's good value for money, fast, isn't graphic heavy - and because they stick to what they say.

Anyone think the email provdiers are really pushing themselves a bit too much?
Not really... the majority of people would never even use close to a tenth of their allocated space. It's all about quantities - it's a fact: when one sees they get more than their current provider, they move or get an account at that place as well because they're offered more quantity. I knew one person who said that if he could afford it, he'd get a dedicated server just because it came with 1,000gb bandwidth - it's really human greed, nothing more.
I'm sure the providers know their limits... and I highly doubt they'll ever get close to their limits at all. If they do, you can be guaranteed they'll stop doing it, or start charging.