What e-mail program is everybody using?

GnomeyNewt

I've been using PocoMail for a few years now and its started to do strange things, so I've decided to look around for other options. What e-mail program is everybody using these days?

I've been using Thunderbird for quite a while now (2 years at least). The only issues I've had were Junk mail related (failed to work properly so I had to reset it, and... I don't even recall what was wrong that other time :D).

its started to do strange things
I'm curious, what strange things?

If I let it sitting say over night or just for a few hours sometimes, it will totally hog my ram. Going up to like 500,000k mem usage. It used to just sit there silently telling me I have e-mail, now it takes over my machine. I actually don't have any e-mail program running most of the day. Doesn't work to well for me!

I still use the old standby Outlook Express for most of my mail and also use Thunderbird for certain specific emails.

For Sarah,
I used to use a program called JetMailMonitor for checking email. Really nice small program. A quick google search should bring it up if you're looking for one.

A lot of people have recommenced The Bat. When I tired it about 5 yrs ago I didn't like it that much. Will do a trial again!

GnomeyNewt said:
If I let it sitting say over night or just for a few hours sometimes, it will totally hog my ram. Going up to like 500,000k mem usage. It used to just sit there silently telling me I have e-mail, now it takes over my machine.
Such high memory usage is unusual, most probable reasons are:
a] corrupted New Mail folder. While Pocomail is closed, go to System.pocosys subdirectory and delete all files starting NewMail.pocosys

b] corrupted poco.ini file. Close Pocomail, and rename poco.ini to pocoold.ini. On restart, you might want to re-add the address books.

c] conflict with third party software (usually antivirus, or nVidia's nView)

Apart from what others mentioned, some other popular email clients are Becky from Rimarts, Calypso / Courier, or Eudora.

Cheers, Tomas
Pocosystems support

GnomeyNewt said:
A lot of people have recommenced The Bat. When I tired it about 5 yrs ago I didn't like it that much. Will do a trial again!

Try it all my staf f use the bat :) and they got some nice plug-in of antispam also

rshosting said:
I still use outlook ..got to check Bat as hostthebest states about anti-spam plug-in as spam are a big issue.
That true the big issues it make a folder as junk mail it go all they I download the plug-in last night it nice now

Office Outlook Express 2003 I mainly use although we do use Thunderbird with pluggins it filters spam nicely.

Out of the two I do prefer Outlook Express more though :)

Tomas said:
Such high memory usage is unusual, most probable reasons are:
a] corrupted New Mail folder. While Pocomail is closed, go to System.pocosys subdirectory and delete all files starting NewMail.pocosys

b] corrupted poco.ini file. Close Pocomail, and rename poco.ini to pocoold.ini. On restart, you might want to re-add the address books.

c] conflict with third party software (usually antivirus, or nVidia's nView)

Apart from what others mentioned, some other popular email clients are Becky from Rimarts, Calypso / Courier, or Eudora.

Cheers, Tomas
Pocosystems support

Thanks much. Will certainly try this! Thanks very much again.

Poco has certainly got the best filtering I've seen from any mail program, so going to try these quick things to see if it will stay up and running.

Going to still give a try to some of these other programs (expect for the Outlook ones... sorry guys :))

I have to vote for thunderbird. I use mail.app on the mac and thunderbird on windows and the spam protection is far better on tbird. I also find I cant live with out the thunder browse extension.