What frustrates you the most?

Okay, I'll bite. What frustrates me is when people order a hosting plan without even trying or thinking about how the plan they are buying will fit their needs.

We have different plans for a reason.

Oh, and customers who rant about "unlimited" hosting. Everything has its limits. It clearly is a marketing scheme. If you don't realize that ... Im not sure what to say to you.

I like the moral of this thread, Since clients always vent about providers, the providers have created a thread to vent about their clients hahahahahaha

I guess the worst thing is when they have this negative approach and start the relationship with negativity. It's almost like they don't trust anyone and like they're trying to find something that is wrong with our service. I find hard dealing with this and cannot help myself but to think that they are scammers.

I guess the worst thing is when they have this negative approach and start the relationship with negativity. It's almost like they don't trust anyone and like they're trying to find something that is wrong with our service. I find hard dealing with this and cannot help myself but to think that they are scammers.

I think that is just human nature though. Do you not do the same when trying out a new service?

We could get all deep and philosophical (are people intrinsically good or bad?) on this question ... but I'm curious as to your thoughts.

But look at it this way. That client may have tried a few hosts before you and had bad experiences, so naturally they what their sites hosted, but they are going to look at hosts in a negative way due to past experiences. It is up to you to put them at ease and turn their negativity into a positive.

I had a client like that and a month after they signed with me, they contacted me to say they wish they had found me months before and they upgraded their plan

Okay, I'll bite. What frustrates me is when people order a hosting plan without even trying or thinking about how the plan they are buying will fit their needs.

We have different plans for a reason.

That's your fault for offering mutli-tiered quoata-based plans. How would you expect the customer to know how they fit their needs? I don't have that issue. The only difference between my plans are the number of sites you want hosted.

There is no reason to confuse the customer unless your artificially limited plans are a marketing gimmick to get customer go buy and spend more than they need

That's your fault for offering mutli-tiered quoata-based plans. How would you expect the customer to know how they fit their needs? I don't have that issue. The only difference between my plans are the number of sites you want hosted.

There is no reason to confuse the customer unless your artificially limited plans are a marketing gimmick to get customer go buy and spend more than they need

But even if a host offers mutli-tiered quota-based plans, if you get frustrated if a customer has not tried your services and have no idea what they need then you should not be in the hosting business.
You should be available to help the client chose, if they are hosted elsewhere take a look at their website to see what content they have on their site and then suggest a plan that will be suitable for them.

A "unlimited" host, calling traditional hosting a 'marketing gimick'. Now I have heard it all.....

A "unlimited" host, calling traditional hosting a 'marketing gimick'. Now I have heard it all.....

When a pretty set of hosting plan boxes lures a customer into paying (for example) additional $5/mo for a nickel's worth of disk space and a dime's worth of bandwidth by going with Plan C instead of Plan A, when Plan A will work, that's a gimmick

When a pretty set of hosting plan boxes lures a customer into paying (for example) additional $5/mo for a nickel's worth of disk space and a dime's worth of bandwidth by going with Plan C instead of Plan A, when Plan A will work, that's a gimmick

No, that's providing a low cost plan for users that need low resources and a higher priced plan for users that need more resources.

No, that's providing a low cost plan for users that need low resources and a higher priced plan for users that need more resources.

Read the OP (I was responding to). The user doesn't know the plan they need in this case. Given that, and plans whose only difference is the negligible-to-tiny additional cost (to the host) of disk space and bw from one plan to a higher plan, then charging 10x to 50x that amount is ripping off the consumer. There is no reason to do this when almost 100% of all sites suitable for a shared hosting environment can work in almost all Plan A's -- unless one wants to use a gimmick to increase profits

Just because a marketing gimmick is pervasive and long lasting doesn't make it any less a gimmick. Convincing customers to purchase more resources than they will use or need is the goal of the gimmick. The bulk of profits comes from sales of unused resources. Nothing makes a host happier than customers needing Plan A purchasing Plan B, C etc. The plans are set up that way, and for that purpose.

Last edited:
Just because a marketing gimmick is pervasive and long lasting doesn't make it any less a gimmick. Convincing customers to purchase more resources than they will use or need is the goal of the gimmick. The bulk of profits comes from sales of unused resources. Nothing makes a host happier than customers needing Plan A purchasing Plan B, C etc. The plans are set up that way, and for that purpose.

And that is not what Unlimited is all about?! Giving the clients a limit they can never possibly reach with the idea that they will not simultaneously try to reach it. And in the meantime an Unlimited number of clients can be put on the server...Its like banking services, really. The banks keep your money with some interest, with the idea that people will not want to simultaneously withdraw. And if it does happen - collapse and eventual bankrupt...

I really don't think we should turn this into another "Pro/Anti Unlimited" discussion. I know you are passionate about your stance and I really don't have anything against Unlimited providers as long as they are not trying to convince me that their ways are better. So getting this back ontopic...

What frustrates me most is people that don't have the slightest interest in learning something but instead always resorts to asking support for help, be it with a technical issue, developer request, billing question, design tweak etc. The kind of people that always need help and always need it ASAP, even if the process they go through will still take them much more time than a simple Google search. :rolleyes2