What have YOU experienced in the hosting world?

FastNetServers

What have YOU experiences in the hosting world?

If it is one thing that you will remember for the rest of your life about the hosting world either if your a provider or a customer what would it be?

Job skill & Experience would be my top 2 things I would walk away from the hosting industry with. Im just happy that I have stuck with this for so long, and along the way I have picked up some priceless experiences which will help me out later in the future.

As a customer, dont go with the company offering the most space/bandwidth for the lowest price...
I had to learn the hard way but I have learned so thats what counts :)

As a provider, dont offer what you cant do, I have seen many stories about other hosts doing this and it all going very wrong for them

John Diver said:
As a customer, dont go with the company offering the most space/bandwidth for the lowest price...
I had to learn the hard way but I have learned so thats what counts :)

As a provider, dont offer what you cant do, I have seen many stories about other hosts doing this and it all going very wrong for them

Very interesting but true :)

When you hire support staff - give them a good run through before hand. Test them on their knowledge not just whats on their CV

Amount of times if gone to hire someone and they are blagging it.....they dont know anything more than my 6yr old does about the internet nevermind server management.

Thats a good one klooki
I have done that many times myself...
Hired someone and it turned out they didnt have any clue of how to provide support for any problems, simply because they couldnt do half the things the client could.
Thats the kind of thing that would tend to send me towards outsourcing support.
Now I would really make sure anyone I hire really know what they are doing

Always go by word of mouth, not just by the companies ads. Most companies overstate things and leave out other pertinent information. Be careful.

As a provider I will never forget the time when I got hacked so bad I was forced to drop a entire server.

BrowseHosts said:
Always go by word of mouth, not just by the companies ads. Most companies overstate things and leave out other pertinent information. Be careful.

I like this one because it is so true

From a owners point of view. Dont give anything but the best support !

from a clients point of view: Dont go for the cheapest avaible. you get what you pay for.

Speaking from pure experience!

You signed on with a new upstream at an outrageous special promotion price, and think your the golden child. (2GB/20GB for 10 bucks a month)

Not a week later, you read a post from the owner of this company (in the same forum they were promoting in so heavily) a comment such as "Don't think you can get a quality reselling provider for 10 bucks a month. Brand X did this and they were flat busted within 3 months."

Talk about getting nervous... I got the jitters so bad that I started looking immediately. Strangely enough, the person that made this comment had no reply when I called him out on the carpet about it in that very thread (let alone email, or PM). Even more odd... he closed the doors just inside of 3 months himself. Of course, I was long gone by then! :D

Agreed, Alot of companies that will start up offering reidcusly cheap prices and close in 2 months. (We know them as the 12yr olds)

Or make you pay for a year, then add in their TOS that the site can close any time. and terminate accounts. They terminate all acounts making about £500 profits, then change name and do it all over again.