What is ASN mainly about?

YoYoC

Hi, all

When I try to google the term "ASN", I didn't get valuable information about it. Could someone elaborate on it in simple words?
Thanks a lot.

It's required if you're going to have your own IP space routed under your name by your provider or if you, yourself, are a provider doing BGP.

I like to think of it like an "IP Address" for an organization announcing routes to the internet.

What type of hosting are you offering or going to be offering? This is really only going to come in to play if you plan on setting up your own private network and plan on getting your own direct connections from bandwidth providers, you will need at least two before you can get your own assignments for BGP. To get going, you would want to get an IP block assignment SWIP'd to you first from your current provider, if they are willing to do that.

The best is you direct apply ASN and IP address from ARIN/APNIC/RIPE. When you not happy your current provider, you can just change the bgp session without change the ip address.

Its a unique number that's available globally to determine an autonomous system, allowing the system to exchange exterior routing information with other autonomous systems.

An autonomous system number (ASN) is a unique number that's available globally to identify an autonomous system and which enables that system to exchange exterior routing information with other neighboring autonomous systems.

The number of autonomous system numbers is limited. For autonomous system numbers to be assigned, current guidelines need the network to be multi-homed and have a unique routing policy. Autonomous system numbers can be assigned only through a request to the local Internet registry.

You can view some explain from Youtube video like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWm-yKwl8_I