What is reseller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediumcube

Before few days I want to know that what is Reseller exactly?
Still I am looking for the answer.

Can someone will explain me about Reseller plan.

A reseller plan allows you to offer hosting solutions to clients, friends, etc. You are reserved the specifications which is offered in your monthly plan (100GB Disk Space, 100 Accounts, etc). Normally you are given options such as cPanel or Plesk as a control panel option, but the server is shared with others.

Once you find that your company/services is rapidly growing you can then look into getting a VPS/Cloud Server and eventually a Dedicated Server to allow your clients to maximize all speeds (network, hard drive.). Root access is not given on the reseller, but can be an excellent option due to the hosting provider being responsible for that shared server incase problems arise.

Thank you and I hope this helps.

A less popular version are the sometimes called reseller programs. They're sometimes free to join (e.g. resellerspanel), sometimes there's a fee (Godaddy). You get a turnkey website from where you can resell a number of services, probably not limited to hosting (i.e. including things like domain registration, whois privacy services etc.). With some programs you get a discount (the more customers you accrue, the higher the discount), with others you can set the price that you with to sell the services at.

You will have to sell preset hosting packages though, so your ability to adapt to customer's wishes or a specific target market is severely impeded. You are just a salesman though, so you can focus on marketing while your upstream provider takes care of everything else.

Reseller hosting allows you to utilize the resources you have and sell them further. This is a easy way to start your own web hosting business and I must say, most of the popular web hosts today including Hostgator started from there only.

A reseller plan allows you to offer hosting solutions to clients, friends, etc. You are reserved the specifications which is offered in your monthly plan (100GB Disk Space, 100 Accounts, etc). Normally you are given options such as cPanel or Plesk as a control panel option, but the server is shared with others.

Once you find that your company/services is rapidly growing you can then look into getting a VPS/Cloud Server and eventually a Dedicated Server to allow your clients to maximize all speeds (network, hard drive.). Root access is not given on the reseller, but can be an excellent option due to the hosting provider being responsible for that shared server incase problems arise.

Thank you and I hope this helps.

You can also get a VPS reseller and sell VPS just like hosting accounts. You don't have root access to the node but to all VPS.

There are many options available for a hosting reseller. It could be shared, VPS or Dedicated, depends on the requirements of the reseller which hosting companies will gladly help you to set it up.

Reseller is re-seller which means seller of seller.

As for example Agents - They sell the Insurance policies of some other company and in turn gets some commissions.

A reseller in Web Hosting purchases Hosting in large volume from a company and sells to new customers at some fixed prices so that he may also gets benefit

Hope I am able to explain :)

Reseller is one who resells the plans or products of original company with a profit added to it. A reseller will buy a product at a wholesale rate and sells it with a profit. Or a reseller may first sell a product and then buy the product at wholesale rate and pocket the balance profit.

A reselling in web hosting is slightly different.

Generally there are two types of resellers
1. Turnkey resellers
2. cPanel/WHM resellers.

1.Turnkey resellers:

These resellers get a turnkey business from the original seller. A complete built up site with all facilities provided. The original seller will handle customer care, billing etc., A reseller has to do only one thing. Marketing. A reseller has to bring traffic to the website and sell the web hosting plans. For example original sellers may sell a hosting plan for $3.00 to a reseller. A reseller may sell that to any rate he wants and pocket the difference.

This type of plan is easy and is suitable for new resellers who does not have any hosting experience, even though the resellers will earn less profit and will not have much control over the website.

Generally these type of plans are free.

2. cPanel/WHM resellers

This type of reseller will buy a plan (generally per month) from original seller and repackage and resell the hosting plans for what ever price he decided and pocket all the profit.

For example a reseller may buy a reseller hosting plan of $25/m.
He will get some 20GB space, 200GB bandwidth etc., A reseller many then divide this webspace and bandwidth and sell to client for whatever price. For example he may offer 10 client with 2Gb webspace and 20Gb bandwith for $5/m. So he will earn 10x5=$50. From this he has to deduct $25/m to be paid to original seller. So his net profit is $50-$25=$25/m.

However, this type of reselling requires more experience and technical knowhow. The reseller shall take care of billing, customer care and any troubleshooting.

The advantage of this type of reselling is that the reseller can earn more profit and will have more control over his activities.

So, depending upon one's needs one should decide to go with a particular type of hosting.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello,

Reseller is getting a big disk space and bandwidth and you can partition the disk space and bandwidth to sell it on a price you want for your clients. In this way you can create your own web hosting plans based on your clients needs and earn from it...

Unlike in shared webhosting you cannot resell it, it is just a fixed web hosting account.

Thanks!

Reseller is where you sell someone elses space and bandwidth. You buy up a chunk of space and bandwidth and then set your own price and packages. Its best to start with a reseller and then move to a VPS or dedi when the revenue is right.

yep

I wanted to say thank you to the HD community for really explaining this, you guys all reached out excellent in this thread to provide a clear explanation for him to understand.

With reseller hosting you have the opportunity to build your own company and offer your own packages. So you can make money with the least possible cost.

Reseller plan is that in which you can resell our space to your client with your own name and own price and get profit with this

The question to ask is if you want the responsible of a part time host (no offense to any resellers out there) or a full time one. Do you have the funds to purchase space in a data-center, do you have the man power to take care of all of the servers, not counting the cost of the machines. How big is your piggy bank? :)

A lot of web hosting firms offer reseller hosting service. With reseller hosting, the account owner of reseller hosting service rents out portion of the disk space and bandwidth he receives to other end users.OR a reseller, also sometimes known as a value-added reseller (VAR), is a company that typically buys servers and sell it to others.

2 separate definitions of reselling

http://searchitchannel.techtarget.com/definition/reseller

In information technology, a reseller, also sometimes known as a value-added reseller (VAR), is a company that typically buys products such as computers in bulk from a manufacturer and then "adds value" to the original equipment by including specific software applications or other components. The reseller then markets and sells the customized product under its own name. For example, a VAR might take an operating system such as IBM's OS/390 with UNIX services and, adding its own proprietary UNIX application designed for architects, resell the package to architectural firms. Depending on sales and installation requirements, the reseller could choose whether or not to identify OS/390 as part of the package.

http://www.resellerguide.com/articles/hosting-dictionary/definition-reseller-hosting/25

Definition: Reseller Hosting or Reselling
Reselling, or reseller web hosting, is selling web hosting to your customers under your own brand when the web hosting is provided by a larger company. This larger company is selling you a large web hosting account which you then break apart to sell as smaller quantities to your clients.

Example:
You buy a reseller web hosting package with 1,000 MB disk space and 1,000 MB bandwidth. You then break this into 10 separate accounts with 100 MB disk space and 100 MB bandwidth each and then you sell these smaller packages to your customers. So if you sell each of these packages for $10.00 dollars a month you would be making $100.00 and your only cost is the reseller web hosting package which cost $15.00 a month. So your total profit would be $85.00 a month. To summarize, reseller web hosting is the act of buying a large web hosting plan or dedicated server and then breaking it into smaller parts to resell to your clients. This definition is rather simple but you now understand the basic meaning.

Reseller is quite simple actually… It’s like Company have a business and they want to sell their service or product far and wide and obviously they cannot capture every market so they allow people to Reseller their stuff in their particular area (although the limit of the area is not necessary).

For Example, If a web hosting company offer its vps and dedicated servers and wanted to sell it on different geographic locations without increasing its casting and budget on marketing. They offer the same products at reseller price to the people who are willing to resell their service to the new market.

Resellers get the product on special price and then they sell further to generate profits out of it.

I guess this is the decent explanation of Resellers I can come up with!

In simple words, A Reseller Hosting mean you buy bulk amount of web space at wholesale pricing and resell the web space with your own designed and decided packages to your end user customers at your own price.

Status
Not open for further replies.