what is "typical" from shared hosting - namecheap.com

alimister

Hello,
I recently started using NameCheap.com for shared hosting. It's only $3/month.

They have fairly fast download speeds (like if I download a big picture from my own website).

But their "processing" speed seems a little slow? I'm not sure, because this is new to me and I have nothing to compare it with. But if I look at a page that uses WordPress where the server is being asked to look up stuff from the SQL databases and form the html on the run, it seems to not be very responsive sometimes - to load the posts that have a certain category associated with it, it sometimes takes 3 seconds to load after clicking, sometimes 7 seconds. Not very scientific I know, and there's other factors, but just to give an idea.

For $3/month, I guess I shouldn't complain. But if I choose to give my readers (my parents and my one friend) a better browsing experience, would I get better response times by paying a bit more?

Anyone have experience with namecheap? I've also considered GoDaddy, but don't like their advertising strategy. Makes me feel like a high schooler.

Edit: I should also ask - how's the webmail service on other shared hosting companies? Namecheap's webmail is really really slow. Ok, $3/month isn't much, but the webmail is much slower than my website. Is that "normal"?

The webmail for namecheap is really really slow also. It takes much longer for email to load up than for my webpage to load. Is that normal? Is the email service that comes with GoDaddy faster?

Thank you.

In a shared hosting environment you have a few problems that occur like this. What I would do is contact the host and explain the problems. It could be just a MySQL server needs a few setting tweaked to improve performance. If you let them know about it they should sort it.

I haven't used webmail on a shared provider for a long time, so I am not sure to be honest. With it being shared though there are a lot more factors that can contribute to things slowing down a little.

Sometimes MySQL server is located on the same server, sometimes not. And that is influence on the speed for sure.

I have seen speed effected if a MySQL server is connected to a webserver over the public side of the network. I once had an MS SQL server in another DC (part of the Planet). The DC's were in the same town but just a few more milliseconds on a ping slowed things right down.

When connecting a MySQL or MS SQL server to a web server I find the best performance is over a private network from Server 1 to a switch to server 2 both on secondary NIC's. Anything different just kills performance in the network side of things.