What make you flag an order as a fraud?

Bada Bumbum

I know a lot of provider using maxmind or something like that however out of my curiosity would like to know how did you guys flagged an order as a fraud?

Does it included an address? IP/Geo location didnt matching address?
Unverified paypal, payza etc?

Would appreciated for any input and knowledge hare here

TIA

I would cancel at least multiple orders from the same person within a short time frame as well as orders with fake information. It's sometimes easy to tell just by looking at the name and country if they match. You might also want to check out the address if you require one. If it doesn't even exist it seems quite suspicious to me.

Bad addresses and Paypal mis-information are the red flags for me. They are the most tangible bits of information there are, therefore the easiest to verify.

Here is another thread that you might find useful: http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-business-legal-issues/31061-should-account-verification-scanned-id-necessary.html

We've (CeraNet) been trying to figure this out too. We've been in business for quite a while, but recently started offering services (ded + cloud) to the 'public' via our website. It is very eye opening to see the great lengths people will go to scam a server for a couple weeks.

We use Maxmind, manual verification, etc., but still do not have the key. Any feedback or ideas are appreciated.

Here's another fraud check you can add to your arsenal. Engage the person that put the order and ask questions about what they intend to do with the service. Most will be a no show.

Best

Here's another fraud check you can add to your arsenal. Engage the person that put the order and ask questions about what they intend to do with the service. Most will be a no show.

Best

Here. Here. - Simply send them a few general questions (resulting in no responses) can be a simple, yet effective way to find one out.

@CeraNet - Thats thread giving alot of information I believe :)

@theprimehost - Could be another options, before asking some sort of ID copy :). However how long you will wait for the reply before flagged it?

@SolidShellSecur - How about if they gave a valid reason to get such IP? Would you still considered it as a fraud/fake?

I would cancel at least multiple orders from the same person within a short time frame as well as orders with fake information. It's sometimes easy to tell just by looking at the name and country if they match. You might also want to check out the address if you require one. If it doesn't even exist it seems quite suspicious to me.

Sometimes people order multiple services legitly, you just cancel them? Surely not - does't sound like good business practices. You should at the most put the orders on hold / pending before approving and ask them what they are using the services for, if already activated then ask them and see if they are legit or not.

Do you get many clients who order multiple services?

Plenty of different flags can raise fraud. We avoid doing business with many countries that are considered high risk, yes there may be some good people in those countries but the risk is to high.

If their information between their billing and profile differ we ask for proof of ID before deploying service.

Sometimes depending on the information provided we'll just do a quick call to the provided number to make sure it's legitimate.

@theprimehost - Could be another options, before asking some sort of ID copy :). However how long you will wait for the reply before flagged it?

Typically we allow 24 business hours. If no response by then and there are other "fishy" signs we'll cancel the order to be on the safe side.