What server is right for me? Please help1

aaronbarrykirkb

Hi, My name is Aaron and i am setting up a server for my hosting company. I am looking for the right server for my needs so i have come here to get some help! I am running a hosting company that does cheap : shoutcast hosting, windows media hosting, Counter-Strike hosting, small website hosting and maybe some more services. What server is right for my company?

Dual Xeon would probably be right for you, but it can come to the 200$(ish) per month. And, I'm pretty sure if you want to start hosting shoutcast servers I think you'll need to run a Linux Debian OS.

I suggest ThePlanet they're located in Dallas, Tx. Perfect place to host shoutcast servers. Or even LayerdTech.

Last edited:
aaronbarrykirkb said:
Hi, My name is Aaron and i am setting up a server for my hosting company. I am looking for the right server for my needs so i have come here to get some help! I am running a hosting company that does cheap : shoutcast hosting, windows media hosting, Counter-Strike hosting, small website hosting and maybe some more services. What server is right for my company?

What is you budget? Do you want to rent/lease a server or buy/build one and colocate? Thought about a control panel? How are you going to do billing? How will you accept payment?

Just wondering...

Hi,

A sun server would be good but don't go with Cobalt; they are really outdated and in fact I know several datacenters who are phasing them out or are already done. If you're going to just be streaming shoutcast and serving webpages then you may not even need something like a Xeon. I would recommend starting with a P4 or even a celeron since they are so cheap. If you need something heftier your server provider will no doubt be happy to help you upgrade.