What you should keep in mind when choosing your domain name’s TLD:

2easy

IN short ,What you should keep in mind when choosing your domain name’s TLD is
When choosing your TLD, you should consider the fact that most of the domain extensions, mostly country code TLDs, have particular requirements and restrictions. You can find comprehensive information about the management features and requirements of each TLD in the table below. You should also pay attention to the notes present for some of the domain names, and more particularly, to the special registration conditions applicable to some of them.

ALWAYS keep in mind that when you say "domain name", people automatically assume .COM as the extension of an email address when handing it out.

In as many situations as possible, get the .COM of whatever TLD you're also trying to get.

Its own view and depends on the company for which the domain name is selected, this days anything is becoming famous and people remember it if its famous, only thing is promoting so there is no hard and fast rules for selecting a domain name.

It can refer what you are going to do with the company for an example prodating.com can be selected but not prodating.org

ALWAYS keep in mind that when you say "domain name", people automatically assume .COM as the extension of an email address when handing it out.

In as many situations as possible, get the .COM of whatever TLD you're also trying to get.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your statement. I understand where you are coming from but, I think now more then ever in the paste domain names are taking there own uniqueness. You have .biz, .tv, .ws, .asia, .me, .mobi, .cc, .be and many more. Where as 2 or 4 years ago this was not an option. I do see how people consider domain names to be .com but, over time and as technology grows rapidly you will see the mind set of "domain names" grow more then ever before.

I think ultimately your domain TLD depends on what the website is going to be. If you are starting a hosting website in the UK I think it's ideal for you to have "hostingname.uk.com". This is a great way to identify yourself and your companies as being located in the UK.

Definitely if you're in a different country, or you're marketing for a different country you'll want to pick up that TLD (google will rank it higher than a .com for the most part too). Google UK searches .co.uk names and gives it more weight than a .com domain for the most part.

I think Conor is right. Yes, country-specific domains are an exception, but aside from that, people still assume .com as the TLD, so much so that it is probably better to get a longer .com name than a shorter name with a different TLD.

I'd say in short - get a .com, .net, .org coz they are popular...your country TLD & a special tld like .asia, .eu & a .tel

Trust me, the above ones will always come handy!

I think Conor is right. Yes, country-specific domains are an exception, but aside from that, people still assume .com as the TLD, so much so that it is probably better to get a longer .com name than a shorter name with a different TLD.
Absolutely agree. A .com name is consumer standard, followed by .net and .org. I always assume .com first.

I echo this sentiment and think that there is a lot of validity to what you said here. Even with all of the top-level domains that exist, people still assume .COM when thinking about domain names. Because of this, I would always suggest attempting to get .com if it is available. The other TLDs are great and should be considered if you are looking to get multiple domain names or the .COM is available, but always get .COM when its there.

Darius Cubbage

MOD NOTE: Signatures must be added through User Panel and not manually added to posts.

When it comes to choosing a Domain name TLD, as said previously, the best option is a .COM TLD. However, as it is the best TLD, it might be possible that you won't get a .COM TLD with the Domain name you wish to have. If this is the case then you should choose a TLD according to the website you have. For example, if you have an Organizational website then you can choose .ORG TLD. Also, if your website provides Services or is a website for a Specific country then you can choose the TLD of the Country.

I would have to agree with above people on getting .com first. After that I buy .net .org .us since I live in the us. But sometimes I will just buy .info because godaddy sells them for $.99