what's the best servers at best prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sessionmedia

Hey what servers do you guys like?

I mean the brand and type
Windows vs Unix
and company brand name, I hear Dell makes a good server

I am not really asking for you guys to tell me about what you spent $$ on a server but just the server it self what brand type is it and how good/reliable was/are they.

Actually I mainly wanna know about windows servers cause I am thinking about buying some so I can offer both kinds of hosting platforms.

Share your input thanks

Dell. I love Dell servers. I like how they are built, I like the options that come with them. They are easy as hell to mount onto a rack (at least the 1550s we have are).

No one esle wants to sher info about their servers

Hey I was hpoing more poeple would wanna chat about their servers. Come on guys their are more then just Dell servers out their.

Hi Jreis,

We ... actually build our own, because we cannot afford Dell with the configuration that we'd like to have.

Here's our custom configuration:
- 1 or 2U rackmount
- Tyan Motherboard with ServerWorks chipset
- Dual 1GHz Pentium III
- 2GB SDRAM PC133 ECC Registered (branded)
- Hot swappable drive
- 3Ware RAID level 1 for 1U and RAID level 10 for 2U
- Dual/Hot swappable power supply (specially for the 2U)
- Maxtor/IBM harddrive

For the 1U, we end up spending about $1,600 total. So far it's been wonderful (thank God). :)

But I heard Dell is a wonderful system to behold. I would second Allera's comment. I've seen their 4500 RAID and PowerVault series. A serious investment for high performance appliance.

Well, I got alot of servers:

Appliances:
Cobalt RAQ2's (puke)
Cobalt RAQ3's (upchuck)
Cobalt RAQ4's (not too bad, but too propriatary)

Actual Servers:
2U boxes (2000 and Linux) - don't try to run 7200 drives = BURN
4U boxes (2000 and Linux) - Great, can fit anything in 'em!

But personal preference - I like the 2000 stuff for ASP applications running a db backend. Just pretty stable as long as you keep the patches up and monitor it for blue screens. Easily upgraded, but the downfall is everything costs so damn much because it has to be GUI interfaces. We use Hosting Controller control panels on these (and it is good for us. other hosts that grype about this panel just must not know how to set one up).

Linux, great for the newbies that want control panels and just basic sites. Great on resources, and easy to work with for the most part. We use Ensim control panels on these.

Yes, good question, but could be closed. If anyone feels like starting an "updated" new version of it, be my guest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting