Which domain is better? Old vs new

lisa wilson

Hello Friends,
I like to thank you for reading my post and wish you give me a good tips about it.

Which domain is better??

As we have heard a lot that the sites are already launched and they want to sell. So is it better to buy that or to go for complete new and launch the new one??

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The advantage of an existing site if done properly you have something ready to run and established. Typically cost less to market and there is a procedure in place. If it was run improperly before it makes a nightmare.

The new site will allow you to build from the ground up. I like building things my way so it makes sense for me to start fresh. It typically cost more and takes longer but it is a good idea for a unique idea.

In regards to domain, I have heard that se like older domains because they seem established. A old domain with new site might be the best route for you.

Let's take my blog for instance, it's got a few years of age and it was dropped. I picked it up and boy Google slurps it up, so much in fact with little SEO it has gained a PR of 2. I love aged domains for this. Don't get me wrong, I love new ones as well because it's like unwrapping a xmas present when it starts popping.

Bob, it is indeed, but sometimes when it is dropped the age isn't reset and still plays a role when it comes to PR.

You'll need to check out just how much stuff is out there on the domain. While the domain may be older, the last thing you'd want is a bunch of forum postings saying how bad something is. Reputation will hang around, so check it on the engines.

It's just like taking over a regular business on the strip. If there's been a lot of talk about how dirty it is, how bad the food is, how rude management is and all the other negative things - why buy it and try to turn it. It might be better to buy something nextdoor, put a new name on it and compete and put the other guy out of business.

Hostile takeovers are my favorite business plans ;) When executed right, you can make out like a bandit!

Then again, sometimes you can actually improve a bad reputation. McDonald's, Carl's Jr., and many other businesses have proven this to be legit.

Yep, you can definitely turn a business around. All depends how much time you want to invest and how much money. Sometimes people will change the name of the busienss to avoid previous branding issues. This was done by some of the big companies like Kraft, Cigarette Companies and even AIG and soon, GM.

It boils down to money, commitment, and management skills. Hence, the management skills is where effective marketing and the change is seen. I have personally helped better the reputation for several major fast food chains, on a corporate and franchisee level, it all boils down to what you can truly pull off. Either way, customers will always see the current level of customer service, quality of product, etc.

Longevity certainly helps if the pieces are in place correctly. Branding from scratch is time consuming, but still possibly the better route. This depends entirely on your business plan.

I've done both, and while there's definitely something very special about taking a new domain and boosting its PR from scratch, purely through your own work, it is a VERY time-consuming endeavor. If you're committed to branding your site and making the effort, it's worthwhile. If you're not, it won't go anywhere.

Yep, you can definitely turn a business around. All depends how much time you want to invest and how much money. Sometimes people will change the name of the busienss to avoid previous branding issues. This was done by some of the big companies like Kraft, Cigarette Companies and even AIG and soon, GM.
Kraft must have done a great job because I never knew they had a branding issue.

Kraft Foods Inc is owned by Phillip Morris - the wonderful people that bring us Cigarettes ;) Miller Brewing Company was also part of Phillip Morries Companies, however I don't know if they've now been split off.

There's a LOT of work that was done to disassociate the brands, but ask a stockholder and a very large percentage of Phillip Morris's income was through the Kraft Food brand.

With the right amount of money, and the right marketing, you can do wonders ;)

If you think that would be useful to have both domain name - do you best to have both of them. I assume then you will be able to redirect one to another one

Having two is really no different than having a number of microsites. You should present different themes (core focus) on each.