which rackmount?

Pete_Coreix

We are considering a promotion on some of our rackmount servers. I am wondering what business level to pitch at, mid size businesses for a Dell R310 or smaller guys for a Dell R210. Both size budgets are a good fit for us but who is investing now and who would be more more likely to buy? small or medium budgets .. i know this is a bit vague but I love to hear people opinions on this - would you be inclined to spend more for a discounted bigger machine?

Hi Pete - we're not seeing a linear buying trend here, rather a focus on low and high end stuff across the board. We host a provider here that is killing the market on low end dedicated.

Hi Pete - we're not seeing a linear buying trend here, rather a focus on low and high end stuff across the board. We host a provider here that is killing the market on low end dedicated.

Would that be datashack?

@OP Also Depends on the pricing your going for if your going sub $100 machines I think get the best server you can that will have the best return on investment.

Would that be datashack?

@OP Also Depends on the pricing your going for if your going sub $100 machines I think get the best server you can that will have the best return on investment.
No, that would not be datashack. :D

I would try going for Supermicro. They have some excellent cases and motherboards! I'd much rather go for a machine that I pay for what I want rather than paying for a Dell machine which overprices most of it's hardware for it's looks and that sideways "E". I mean really, the machines are going to be in a locked up cab anyway, who cares what they look like!

P.S.: If your gonna go with Supermicro, make sure you get one of their -F motherboards. They have onboard IPMI which is a feature that I cannot live without!

1u and 2 servers are good for space saving. Usually in a 2u you can get more customization and higher specifications.

Dell are a very good make, the only fiddle with them is the ram.

thanks again for the feedback everyone. Actually, for the record, we are Dell house. And for the record we went with the R210s, which are 1U, 2C or 4C CPUs with RAID1 and optional #RAM. The offer is over now and I can't say it was a roaring success, but then, August rarely is.. September has looked more peachy tho.. :)

Best way to do it is BYO as they say, then the machines are spec'd how you want and built with the components you want to use :)

We are considering a promotion on some of our rackmount servers. I am wondering what business level to pitch at, mid size businesses for a Dell R310 or smaller guys for a Dell R210. Both size budgets are a good fit for us but who is investing now and who would be more more likely to buy? small or medium budgets .. i know this is a bit vague but I love to hear people opinions on this - would you be inclined to spend more for a discounted bigger machine?

We prefer Supermicro. Their IPMI is a stete of art :)

I would recommend SuperMicro as well! All our Dedicated Servers use supermicro and we couldn't be happier especially with the customization we have available.

We use Supermicro exclusively and if we had to do it all over again, I would do the exact same thing.

The only downside with Supermicro is that they have very bad support. So it's good to have spare parts just in-case. Most times their "superserver" replacements can take up to a week to process/ship.

Agree with the supermicro idea, we have one of these machines, a pretty large dual quad.

Performs great for us!