Who and why..

GordyMac

Who do you get your domains from and why do you choose to go with them?

I use TOSDomains.net, they are quick and accept Paypal, good pricing and I've never had a problem with them, but they don't seem to offer .CA so I may be forced to look somewhere else.

I use Godaddy and UKReg for .co.uk domains because they are cheap. I have thought about switching from Godaddy because of others mentioning problems, but so far I havent had an issue there.

Yeah.. it is just like anything, some people are going to get the best and some are going to get the worst from the same company.. don't exactly understand how or why.. but then again, does life always make sense? :p

Names I hear about are namecheap, godaddy, enom and maybe Yahoo domains. I have only had experience with Godaddy and Namecheap though and not personally had any problems.

I have looked at enom, but they require 199 points to start a account to be used with clientexec billing software. Only problem I don't want to plug in $199.00 USD for something I have not purchased yet.

I didnt think about that part :) Well.. I didnt realise even. I think the other choices are worth looking in to.

TOSDomains is part of enom or close to it or something.. I remember I wanted to signup someting extra and it referred me to enom long ago..

Well I've only ever had experience with RegisterFly and NameCheap.

RegisterFly: I have most of my domains with them and on the whole haven't had any real problems. Their prices are good though and they have a wide selection of TLDs and ccTLDs. I'm not a fan of their current interface although I've been told this is changing soon, so I'm hopeful. Another benefit I suppose is that RegisterFly is ICANN accredited, meaning they're no longer a reseller for another company. Also there is a RF employee on the WHT forums which is great if you ever need to contact support as otherwise you'll end up waiting a long time for a reply which doesn't say much.

NameCheap: I've only a few domains with NameCheap which I only registered there because RF suspended my account for three or so days. Their prices are good and their interface is simple and quick to load which is exactly what I want. They're smaller than RF and are still an eNom reseller, although I think this is actually an advantage since they don't have the growing pains that RF are going through. I've not had to use support so I can't say.

I'll still use NC from time to time, although overall I'll stick with RF and may even in the end transfer my domains from NC to RF.

I have a Directi account for my .com's etc... the .UK's I register through 123-reg.co.uk as I don't do enough business to justify Nominet membership yet.