WHT!!! What the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitehostuk

I just went to go onto WHT and all the files on their server are missing, all i get is a 403 Forbidden error (and no my IP is not :banned: either, i tried it through loads of proxies)

Anyone know what is happening to it? Or has it been hacked :dknow:

Nobody is immune to little downtime, and its definitely not easy for boards of large size. I think we got a little downtime ourselves here today. :) I think this was in some way network-related.

Artashes said:
Nobody is immune to little downtime, and its definitely not easy for boards of large size. I think we got a little downtime ourselves here today. :) I think this was in some way network-related.

Quoted for emphasis. :)

Artashes said:

I could not have said that any better Art. Remember we are all talking about computers and if a computer has a lot of load (stress) it tends to go down a bit.

Bigger forums encounter problems that smaller ones don't. Also, downtime is not necessarily a result of incompetence from the part of the host, but can be caused by actions (intentional or not) of the administrator/owner of the site as well.

Yep, downtime is not necessarily a reflection on the host or the administrators as independent units. WHT is quite a large forum and it seems to be a target in some respects because of its size.

Downtime is inevitable with a website that uses more resources. WHT just seems to have more trouble than most, but I admittedly don't browse that many forums in that size range.

WHT needs to delete some of their posts. I remember I created one back and told them to delete it. I later got a email saying, they don't delete posts or threads?

No one can assure 100% uptime, remember after all computer is a machine and sometime machines goes down. May be WHT downtime was the part of that.

True i suppose, but then again Rackspace does advertise 100% Uptime, so you would expect it to be up all the time, especially since INet Interactive is such a hugh company

I don't think that Rackspace have dowtime very often. They don't have at all for sure. YOu can see Netcraft statistics about them. of course this does not mean WHT server can not go down.

Artashes said:
Good Point. Infact I couldn't access HD for the past 20 minutes ;)

Sites like Google, Microsoft and other big websites tend to have multi-dns so if one server goes down the other picks up the slack until the primary dns is resolved.

WHT needs to delete some of their posts.

I believe they do just very slowly so it goes unnoticed. The Bad Reviews on The Planet will apparently slowly disappear over the next 24 months according to most members.

aeromit said:
I don't think that Rackspace have dowtime very often. They don't have at all for sure. You can see Netcraft statistics about them. of course this does not mean WHT server can not go down.

What is available on netcraft is probably a reflection of network uptime. Hosting companies put their websites on load balanced server farms, so any hardware issues will not directly affect the site.

But if you are hosting on a single dedicated box, you are likely to have a bit more downtime. One need to consider the hardware issues / traffic related / software upgrades etc.

Yeah WHT isnt that bad but their downtime seems more and more lately,

Besides we wasnt talking about the downtime here we was talking about all their files being deleted from the server lol

I have been on WHT a few times only to get forbidden pages i tried from two locations only to get the same, they may have been updating the forum on the server or someone thought they would change some file perms :rolleyes:

WHT is actually veeeery slow for me at the moment. It definitely has its moments, but most of the time its pretty quick.

I am just surprised to see them experiencing these problems. I have seen other large forums that do not have any issues (or very rarely). My guess is that since the heavy commercialization of that forum since latest acquisition by venture fund, their goal is to cut costs and maximize profit.

DigitalSpy.co.uk's Forum is relativly large especially in Posts (Nearly 16million) and it has always been good as gold.

Maybe Inet may decide to move to a new provider if it continues, if they chose Softlayer something tells me The Planet will be ticked off, because I'm sure they wanted to poach it if they ever switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.