Why are European providers so cheap???!!!

server4you.de are actualy really good, but when you read closer most of these companys require a 12-month contract to be signed.

That or you have to pay for support or you get like 1-2 tickets a month... always read what you are getting. Also remember "You Get what you pay for"

The same reason some providers in the rest of the world are cheap :eek:

But, there is a pretty sharp price drop in the Netherlands. As I recall, some hostingco's in Germany were already cheaper before that.

On the other hand, some don't make it (eg easydedicated). It has to do with low purchase prises for the host, little human interference and in some cases, bad support and material. But in fact there are some hosts that are in that business for a couple of years and are doing pretty well.

Always search for reviews indeed.

I know bandwidth, at least, is supposed to be quite a bit more expensive in Europe. I'd do a little research on the market before jumping inot anything.

I think while the argument that support might be lax, the real reason as far as our dealings with datacenters in Europe goes, it's more to the way they are structured - especially post EU. They utilise very very very vast numbers of peered connections. This is especially true in NL, FR and DE. We have a few French servers, and we routinely push 50mbits and pay just over 200USD. If you really have the need for a lot of bandwidth, who wouldn't want a reliable $500 100mbit server ? Keep in mind, they do provide remote reboot, so anything else that requires remote hands will cost. Though at $60-ish it's standard rates.

Some leading hosting companies are offering really good prices on their dedicated servers as part of their marketing strategy. Thats the case on one provider I was looking at, dedibox.fr. They offer dedicated servers for 30 euro a month (about 38 USD), support included. Whilst checking conditions the only con is that you have to be a national in order to get the service... But I cannot see any other cons on that specific offer