Why I Like Free Hosts

hostmaster09

As a webmaster, I like to use free web hosting to host my non-profit sites, or web sites that are in their beginning stages. It is easy to sign-up for a free web site to try out new site ideas, or just to store files for a while.

From my understanding, many free web hosting companies do not allow certain types of files on their servers to prevent people from storing them.

However, it is a great idea to use free hosting providers to test things out, see how they look, play around. While there are a lot of stable providers, it is difficult to find them. If you do, however, find them, I would highly suggest performing active backups of your data to help protect against any kind of information loss. The last thing you want is to work on a new site, have it done the way you want it and then provider going down or out of business.

Hosting is really cheap nowdays, and in my opinion by getting cheapest 1usd/month account you have better service than any free hosting can offer. You're not limited with file types, can test various type of things, and almost certainly be sure that your data is safer than on free host. Imagine designing expensive website and getting this code stolen - this hurts.

I agree Hostbill.
If you really want to test your projects in a real time environment then free hosting is probably the worst way to go.

With so many companies out there offering the world for a dollar a month why not just use them.
Stability wouldn't even be an issue if it's only for testing.

1-dollar companies go out of business just as often as free hosting providers, just because the pressure of handling the customers with a higher level of expectations, so I don't see what is more stable or reliable about them.

Companies like Bravenet or Netfirms have been there for many years providing free hosting as one of their tools to webmasters.

If this is for testing, then why not? Might give you an opportunity on how to deal with down time or lost data.

This is true, I guess that education would come from the frustration. I used to host with Bravenet, and the downtime in the end just drove me beyond distraction. It was they who drove me to paid hosting.

Testing is fine, but there are other ways.

I wasn't aware there were file type limitations on unlimited accounts. I guess I've never really looked into it. I would agree with others though that you want to pay to have a quality hosting account even if it has limits.

Mark

As a webmaster, I like to use free web hosting to host my non-profit sites, or web sites that are in their beginning stages. It is easy to sign-up for a free web site to try out new site ideas, or just to store files for a while.

If you really intend the same , FREE host are good for this, however you are not allowed to store more data with them :smash:. For the reason to be just alive on the web they are good. Nothing more than that is good with Free hosting

I find that free hosts don't just limit what files you can upload, they can remove a lot of features that make using them worthwhile. You also have no control over what is advertised on your free site, it might not be suitable for your site's topic.

I think it's better to invest just a little bit in purchasing the web hosting. I've worked with the free hosting companies before (also for non-profits) and they just don't look as nice because they're more limited.

If you truly want good support and safety for your site you cannot really trust a free webhost... because as they say you get what you pay for, in this case nothing...

Everyone knows that free webhosts are nothing more than ways to attract clients to paid hosting so don't expect good services.

PS: I'm talking here about free webhosts without advertising.

For non-profit sites there are paid hosting that can host you for free.
But regarding on your projects on begging stage, I would not put in rick my projects just for saving some bucks.

I personally like using free web hosting. Its of coarse free, and I use it for the .info domains that I own. They were super cheap to buy and I didn't want to pay to host them.

Last edited:
I personally like using free web hosting. Its of coarse free, and I use it for the .info domains that I own. They were super cheap to buy and I didn't want to pay to host them.

It depends on projects and ideas, if it is a simple website just for info, I wouldn't pay also.

But if it is good, I prefer to support it with a few dollars.

I use paid hosting but for those who don't like paid hosting, they can do well with free hosting. However the free hosting is not reliable because there are times that the site is down and there's a limit for adding more data. There are unwanted advertisement on the content which you cannot edit to remove it.

Free hosting certainly has it's place and will be around for many more years. I think the same rule applies here as to paid services ... once downtime or support issues become a headache, it's best to have an exit strategy.

However the free hosting is not reliable because there are times that the site is down and there's a limit for adding more data

The same can be said about paid hosting though. Plenty of paid hosts are no good as what they're supposed to be doing. The idea that paid hosting is by definition better (more stable, faster) than free hosting is to often assumed to be true.