Will it work?

CServer Hosting

I host dedicated business and online game servers at a VERY reasonable rate. However, I've chosen not to rent server space, or rent servers at all. Instead, I've decided to purchase servers either thru savings, or thru people paying in 6-month blocks (I've purchased server, but have to pay back the person i borrowed from).
For example, one can purchase a dedicated dual Opteron 242 with 2 Gigs of ddr400 ram, and duel 10krpm 36gb hard drives for 400$ a month, which includes ftp access, unlimited transfer, and a Dedicated 512/512 SDSL line. The SDSL line is on a T3, and the 512/512 is really more of a bandwidth limit. All considered, the average dedicated hoster charges well over $450 a month for the same service.
The issue with my server, is the 6-month block charge, I've been unable to find a lot of people (more than my one current customer) to be interested in this service.

Will my service work, despite breaking away from the datacenter method, and how can I advertise my hosting (Currently, i have only have a referral method, where you recieve 10%, or up to 200$ of what someone you refer spends)?

Edit: Web hosting clients I've had no trouble with, my issue is dedicated and game servers. I have paypal, and am verified, but I think the main issue is hitting my targed audience, middle/high class (economic) kids who play computer games Extensively, and somewhat new businesses who do not want to pay for expensive hosting, but need high performance servers. I would also like to targed server resellers. I do not want to spend money on google ads, if at all possible, because of the click costs(many will click, but my service is specialized, and I dont like to waste money).

Another Edit: I've already hired an experienced flash/php programmer to create/design my website for me, along with server reboot, and status scripts (client controlled). My main concern is my gaming servers, and reselling to game server resellers. I am not sure how to target my gaming demographic, and how do to it cost-effectively.

Last edited:
Athlon 64 3200+
ECS Motherboard
60Gb Seagate SATA
1024 Megabytes of DDR-400 RAM
Unmetered transfer and bandwidth on a T3
Fedora, Suse, Debian, or FreeBSD

would that be worth 100$ a month (6-month blocks)?

Unmetererd bandwidth for a gaming server? You must be mad...
Other than the bandwidth part, it all seems ok, but if you are going to be running a 24/7 Gaming server on a T3 line, someone somewhere is going to notice and wonder where all that bandwidth it going. Rather purchase some blocks of bandwidth and be sure that you know exactly how much you can anad cannot use!

~Equinox

I actually leech off my father's company's oc3. I get 45/45mbps because im friends with the network administrator. They host limited.com, victoriassecret.com, so they really dont notice my ~250 GB per month.

Edit: Speakeasy.net, which provided me with my first SDSL line for my servers, did not have any bandwidth limits whatsoever. After uploading over 17 GB over bittorrent, i only recieved an email asking if it was intentional; i replied yes, and the uploading continued

Wow. Hope your dad doesn't get fired or else your "business" is SCREWED!

Last edited:
I dunno. Just sounds like a shady, and very unstable way to run a business, as it's depending on too many volatile aspects.