Windows 2003 web or standard

tzpow

Hi,

I am going to buy my own server and colocate this at a data center. This server is going to only host one website with Mysql as backend database. I notice there are 3 different Windows 2003 server, Web, Standard and Enterprise. I am leaning toward the Standard version. Can I use Window 2003 Standard Edition to run my the web server?
Can I buy this to do web hosting http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2003-Standard-Brand-NeW_W0QQitemZ320357065121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item320357065121&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

thanks

Last edited:
Please please don't buy before you've researched quite a bit more. I'm not going to tell you not to use windows server(even though I'm biased to linux), but I will tell you that there are many other(likely better) ways to go about this.

Colo for 1 website? Unless you're site is HUGE then think again, even then I'd likely suggest going dedicated.. In which case you'd get software from the DC/Provider.

Let us help you. I'd hate to hear a month from now that you paid thousands when all you needed was a $10-20/month shared hosting account..

What's the website?
Is it a new site?
How much traffic expected?
Any other special needs?

Answer those questions and we can point you in the right direction. I don't mean to trash your plans or anything, but my servers host quite a few websites and colocation is so far from making sense financially even for me.

Just checked your link. This very much appears to be software piracy. Any offer that lists just the CD and COA becomes instantly suspicious. Microsoft's EULA specifically states that you cannot break apart the components of their packages.

you said that you are planning to make it in collocation, then why dont you get license from hosting guys as well. they can provide you for like 20 $ a month

The only advice I could give you regarding this is to be just very cautious when it comes to these kind of things. :)

Aside from the included functionality in each version, when deciding which Windows version to use keep in mind how much RAM you want in your server (standard will only support up to 4GB, for instance) You'll only be hosting one website, you probably won't need more than 4GB. Windows 2003 Standard should be fine to run your webserver.

if you are only hosting one website with mysql -- then why windows??

you know to configure a windows server for hosting and email is more complex than linux. -

i assume that you also did not do it before or would you have know which windows operating system to go with as well??

anyway - do more research before moving forward

if u really want to use a windows server (no matter dedicated or colo) due to u r not familiar with linux, just go for web edition.

but if u willing to spend more time, and wanted to save cost, just get urself a legit standard edition and install apache & php into it.

anyway, it is best if u use linux for a web server.

Go for standard if you are taking windows. Web edition you can choose if you are not going to use the server in a heavy way.