Windows OS?

imported_Ryan

I've never personally hosted anything on Windows other than for development. For that reason I've never really wondered what OS was best for acting as a web host? So basically my question is... If you host on Windows, what operating system do you use? :confused:

Ryan,

One of the best os's to use for hosting on windows would be windows 2003 server hands down. If your looking for stability you can definitely get it with windows 2003. Another operating system that makes a good host is windows 2000. Then again you could even utilize windows xp professional for hosting. :)

Make sure to look into the SPLA license from microsoft. No reason to spend an arm and a leg for hosting, when you can purchase an SPLA (Service Provider License Agreement), which will allow you to literally rent the license per month for how long the license is used for web hosting. It is a tedious process trying to be verified for SPLA so bring your lazy boy chair, you in for a ride.

:)

Well, to be honest with you I wasn't planning on getting into the Windows hosting business. I was just curious about it... I was almost certain that windows 2k3 server was the popular pick but didn't know about windows 2k. I think XP would have too many features for anyone to really want to use it for a web server.

Hello,

I recently had a link to a page which detailed that information. I do know that Microsoft requires that you have 2 certified Windows administrators in order to qualify for that SPLA agreement. If you have these technicians on staff, then I'd suggest giving Microsoft a call. Hope this helps.

WarpFactor said:
Hello,

I recently had a link to a page which detailed that information. I do know that Microsoft requires that you have 2 certified Windows administrators in order to qualify for that SPLA agreement. If you have these technicians on staff, then I'd suggest giving Microsoft a call. Hope this helps.
From the documents that I have here, it looks like they no lnoger requre the 2 certified Windows admins. The guidelines are not as strict now. I think Microsoft has finally realized the risk that linux poses and has started to finally take action.

"Effective immediately, partners wishing to enroll in the SPLA agreement need to only meet one of the following two eligibility requirements:
  1. Enroll in the Microsoft Partner Program as a Registered Member as well as enroll in the Microsoft Windows Web Hoster Program.
    OR
  2. Enroll in the Microsoft Partner Program as a Certified Partner."
This is on the microsoft site.

Hi,

I currently host on Windows Server 2003, but I use Windows 2000 Server for my personal servers, I have never tried to use linux at a decent level, so I wouldn't know about that.

Cheers,

Nick