Word of mouth

Oscar

How important do you feel that "word of mouth" promotion is in the world of web hosting? If you feel that it is extremely important, how do you achieve this with a shortage of clients?

It's a catch 22 situation? :)

It takes clients of course, to generate word of mouth, which is why one either advertises heavily in the begining, offers discounts etc., or accepts that it will take a long time for word of mouth to become a main source of new customers.

First step, get noticed. Second step, keep getting noticed. Even if it's small, the momentum will build.

Become involved in your community, even if it's in seemingly small ways: help out with a parks and rec program, see about sponsoring a local theater troupe, something anything. Write to the local papers to see if they're interested in doing an article. Then about nine months later, nudge them again - or hit up a different publication (and have something different to talk about.)

I think that both of you make excellent points. I think that starting local and later targeting a wider audience is a good idea to start with. Now I'm just thinking of different ways I can incorporate that into a web hosting business. Thanks for the tips!

The word of mouth effects are generally short-term which you gain after long term in business however it is also important to control on word of mouth especially sometime when it goes negative side. :)

Utilize the clients you have by offering them an incentive to send their friends to you. "Tell-A-Friend" Add the program to your sigs, and other communique'. Make sure your phone reps ask for referrals as well. Good Luck.

I like the idea of doing some sort of referral program. It would help retain a client base, and also pick up a few more. I think that's the best way to start off, people are always looking for some sort of deal, and if you provide a quality service at the same time, it seems like you're well on your way.

I disagree with it being a temporary effect. Yes, if you go from good to bad then the good rep won't last long, but otherwise I see nothing temporary about it.

I also disagree that it takes a long time to achieve. Yes, it takes work. But even one good experience can have a customer write a good review of you, or tell their friends.

I think that it can be temporary in certain situations. You need to make sure that you make a lasting impression on people - sometimes previous clients can be fickle, and love your servcies one day, forget about you the next.

I think that you need to have very big base of customers. No one customer which get what he PAID for will not spend time for reviews. I think that 5 % Max. But word of mouth is really way. I think that your customer service plays the main role in it

No one can rely on word of mouth only. Combined with online marketing, word of mouth can be just as effective.

Wom

Word of mouth is the most important advertising tool out there.

It goes both ways, happy customers tell everyone, but so do unhappy ones.

And unfortunately, you can not please everyone. Some people seem disposed to be negative no matter how hard you try. And some just don't want to find anything positive.

So it cuts both ways.

So what do you all think - are people more likely to spread the news about you if they had a positive experience or a negative one?

Do you think that people are more likely to rave about how good your service was, or about how horrible of a time they had with you?

I am thinking that somebody with a negative opinion would be more willing to talk about you.

I am thinking that somebody with a negative opinion would be more willing to talk about you.
From what I've seen, it's a known fact in marketing. Not that I know where they get their statistics from.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising. if you keep your clients happy they will automatically refer you to their friends and so on.

Basically word of mouth is like a big tree that just keeps on growing and growing. I find that many free forms of advertising are the best to grow your business.

Kind Regards

People are more likely to remember bad things, its human nature. They are also more likely to share a bad experience with a total stranger to keep them from the same mistake than recommend something. There are entire companies built around positive word of mouth advertising of products and services (house party, bzzagent, repnation). I think the fact that big companies are willing to spend so much to get positive word of mouth shows how important it can be.

I personally talk up good or bad experiences and do it to alot of people I know both personally and professionally as I think sharing personal experience is helpful to others. I've done this about some products for decades. Many people do.

So while advertising and SEO are important to get it off the ground, once you get customers and are able to continue to impress them with good service, quick ticket turnaround time, etc you will give them reasons to keep spreading good things about you.

It may also be better in certain markets. I know that in small towns, where "everbody knows everybody" work of mouth would work wonderfully. You would need to be sure that there are no "bad experiences", because that would most definately be what is told if there is. Overwhelm your clients with the good and they will want to tell it!

Id agree word of mouth is the best it makes you feel good and also that feeling your are doing it right but cant always reley on word of mouth :(

incentives for refferals are always a good idea such as 3 referrals and get a free month - something like that card you get from the video store - rent there 8 times and get the 8th one free.