WOW - What a Week !!

imported_Andrew

Hi All,

I havent been around much, but was supposed to be enjoying a great little vacation with my wife. We went down to Las Vegas for the week. Everything was in order, the proper people were in place to take care of the business. Than - WHAM ! - got hit with a large DDOS on wednesday...

Thankfully our upstream provider, and my Network Admin worked on this thing countinually. Managed to keep the servers up (well, mostly anyway).

Stats:

48 hours of DDOS attacks on 3 specific IP's
3 days no sleep
Some unhappy customers
4 hours downtime

Not as bad as it could've been, but.....

Anyway, just wanted to vent and happy to be home and back on HR :D

Glad to see you Back :D I'm sorry about your Problem :( but what can we do about it?, You host Microsoft.com right?...Maybe the New Virus? :D

Cheers,
~Francisco

You should look into flood guard. Not sure if your DC offers this (servermatrix.com does) but it protects a block of IP's at the router level against DOS attacks. What I hear is the server never even notices it, the router kills the un-wanted traffic.

MaTriX said:
You host Microsoft.com right?...Maybe the New Virus? :D

:rofl:

No, that isnt me - almost wish it was so I could promptly boot them off my servers and delete their account.

Im getting that email like 10 times per day. Starting to drive me nuts.

Hey, Im sure all this virus mails are well known, but I just got back and havent really caught up yet. How many virus emails are you guys getting every day? Im getting ALOT !!!

turnkey said:
You should look into flood guard. Not sure if your DC offers this (servermatrix.com does) but it protects a block of IP's at the router level against DOS attacks. What I hear is the server never even notices it, the router kills the un-wanted traffic.

Hi Turnkey,

Our DC doesnt offer this - though, I must say, they were awesome throughout the process. They did a great job of filtering the packets and minimizing the effect of the attack.

I actually was looking at SM for just this reason. Have you used them? Im really curious to know if its as effective as advertised.