Xeon Harpertown VS Intel High End Quad Core

engineerroy2008

I have a doubt in this, will Xeon Harpertown ( E5405 series) will be a good processor as compared with Intel Quad Core processors ( 8xxx - 9xxx series) ? Both are Quad core processors with equal Cache memory and other details.

Where this two differs ? What will be the best processor? Any of you are using both ? or have experience with both processors? Is this an Intel marketing gimmicks or something like that ?

How Xeon harpertown processors differ from the Quad core processing technology ? Leave this 45nm and 90nm technology it is of now use to end user since it will be helpful to optimize some power not increase or help in processing power.

Any one's personal experience will be helpful :)

Well if you just want 1 physical processor theres not much difference, but obviously with xeon you can scale to 2/more physical processors per server

I am interested to know single processor in both cases, it seems Quad core range has higher speed for a pricing

Xeon E54XX costs nearly upto $990 but the speed remains less than the Q99XX series, is it right?

Try check their benchmark on database performance and other enterprise solutions. There are must be any different between them. Scalability it think much better on Xeon. Virtualization too.

I'm not expert. Is it benchmark for database such as mysql, oracle, SAP, virtualization or render server? Sorry but can you provide me the link. Thanks.

Benchmarks are tested at standard testing conditions, what i am expecting was something with the experience of our users, who had tested this both in real time.

I know the xeon processors are ment for being use for servers and the quad core are for desktops etc.. So that is why the price is so much higher. I also tink the I/O for the xeon is quicker too.

My guess is that the harpertown would be better. Definitely if you want the option to upgrade to dual processors in the future. I believe the 5405 model has a high power efficiency version available as well.

Obviously you only need one CPU and aren't considering scaling so just go with whatever is cheaper.

Specs and performance are the same (for what you want to do) and if the cost is significant the cheaper option is the one to go for.

It's not about the "best" CPU but what is best for what you need.