Yahoo shuts chat rooms amid child sex concerns

SpecHackers

Yahoo Inc. has shut down all its user-created Internet chat rooms amid concerns that adults were using the sites to try to have sex with minors.

The giant Internet media company closed down those chat rooms and the ability to create new ones "in the past week," said Yahoo spokeswoman Mary Osako.

<<URL edited>>

MOD NOTE: Rules: 3.4 Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.

That's good news and that's what companies have to do, so little surprise there. I'm sure it happens on a daily basis.

Yahoo Inc. has shut down all its user-created Internet chat rooms amid concerns that adults were using the sites to try to have sex with minors.

The giant Internet media company closed down those chat rooms and the ability to create new ones "in the past week," said Yahoo spokeswoman Mary Osako.

About Time... MSN Chatrooms Was Shut down because of the Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman murders in the UK wasn't it... I thought Yahoo would have done it at that time.... since it had a big effect on people.

That's kind of sad to hear, so no more yahoo chat? I used to love talking in there as a teenager :) I guess it's a step that had to be taken though!

Right thing to do for sure. Those can be out of control.

Unless they have Sysop's in each Chatroom monitoring this, then it can prevent perverts to a certain standard. Yahoo, Inc should have hired people to do this they are not on a very low income budget.