Control Panels - What do you use?

Plesk, Cobalt and we've got a testbed Confixx installed, which looks mighty fine. With it's three tiers, it's going to be worth running with when it can manage DNS.

Cheers

Gary

Webmin is my personal favorite.

WHM/Cpanel seem to be the most popular according to most end users, once they try it.

I view control panels different than most people seem to.

My main complaint about the commercial control panels is that they are too proprietary.

They have their own special file structure that is far too complex.

I don't understand why a programmer would design a system that requires copys of nearly everything for each and every domain hosted on the server.

This seems far too complex and a waste of disk space to me.

AlHost

A notice to all hosters here: as a Customer, I have tried a few CPs on this list, but CPanel (even though a lot of tech professionals may not like it) is very user-friendly and a lot of clients seem to like it most.

Best,

I have tried all four of Plesk (v2.5 and v5.0.3), cPanel (from v4 to v6.2), Ensim (old one though) and H-Sphere (old too I think).

Personally, my favourite would be a hit between cPanel and H-Sphere. I like Plesk, although it does lack a lot of features - and for the things my clients need and want, I absolutely have to give cPanel.

Personally, I cannot wait until v6 of PlesK comes out, as then there are supposed to be a lot more features and it's supposed to be a lot better. The only things I want, is for my clients to be able to create their own sub-domains without hassle and without me giving them a reseller account, as well as for them to be able to do Cron Jobs without hassle and without me giving them SSH which I don't want to do.

Plesk is nice. I'd actually prefer to use that. Although currently because of the clients, it seems that cPanel is the winner.

Although what I do plan to do to cPanel soon is make a custom skin for my clients that will look really nice and easy for them to use. I'm hoping it'll get under way soon, but only time will tell. :D

Is it easy to style?

I'll admit... it looks nice, and has lots of great features... but does not look too appealing, and I highly doubt any of my clients would want to swtich from cPanel.

Yeah - cPanel is a very popular one here, and on the most of the Internet. It's extremely popular, and the most three popular ones seem to be Plesk, Ensim and cPanel.

There are lots of other ones out there such as H-Sphere, and more. Plus if you were to count those for windows, there are too many! :D

But there are some real nice ones out there, a lot in the works - but overall a lot of nice ones. :)

Anjay, no one asked you to have your clients switched. You asked the question and I gave you an answer. I use Appies and love it as much as others love their CPs. Everyone have a great weekend. I'm heading for the Winston!

<< Anjay, no one asked you to have your clients switched. You
asked the question and I gave you an answer. I use Appies and
love it as much as others love their CPs. >>

Ok ok ok.. calm down. :D

I'm actually looking into Plesk 6.0 since they have a beta out now.
I personally, would like to move away from cPanel - but there
unfortunately is not another control panel out there which my
clients would be happy with. :(

What I will probably doing, is offer various control panels other
than just simply cPanel. :)

:) We use cPanel 7 as end users love it and after all they pay the bills lol, we used plesk on some of our servers, however we got so many support calls and complaints becuase clients were getting confused on how to use it that we went back to cPanel.

Now I know people will disagree with us here, however this is just our experience and does not necessarily reflect the hosting community at large. :cool:

Yes, that is very true unfortunately.
When my company offered Plesk, none of our clients knew how
to use it, so we moved to cPanel and will never go back - unless
they realise they should learn new things in the world. :D

We use cpanel7 on our servers. It's a bit buggy and not half as stable as Plesk or Ensim, but it's user friendly and the clients prefer it, so we make do :)

@ PowerHost

Why use cPanel 7? As far as I knew that was still beta software?
I'm kinda behind at the moment, but I am sure it's beta software
and the only stable cPanel out at the moment is cPanel 6.x or
whatever, am I wrong?

Yes - that's what I don't like about cPanel either. There are lots of
good control panels out there like the latest Plesk 6 and the latest
DirectAdmin which I have to admit seems very promising, but none
have the features or ease like cPanel. I mean - my clients now like
Plesk 6, but they miss features from cPanel for auto-install items
and add-ons that things like Fantastico brought.