Places to Buy Domains

First Timer

I know there's tons of sites to buy domains from, but does it really matter where you buy your domain from - whether it be the simple, "domain.com" or somewhere else?

it really comes down to who you trust as a provider and price. Godaddy has great prices and I like using them. .info domains .99 cents if they still have that promotion.

do you mean domain registrars? If so, of course it matters a lot, you always need to good with reliable and thustworthy services especially when it comes to domains or hosting.
I'd recommend namecheap, been using it for quite some time now and never had any problems

does it really matter where you buy your domain from
I think it does to a point where you can recognize whether a registrar is a source or a reseller, to avoid unnecessary premium costs.

For example, while GoDaddy.com and Namecheap.com are the original source registrars, there are many resellers of GoDaddy.com out there that might have higher registration fees.

I would also recommend to register domains through known domain registrars instead of web hosting companies or web design studios as they tend to charge higher fees. Plus, you get full control of the name yourself.

So considering that I've never owned my own actual site or anything of this sort, what would you suggest I go with / how should I go about this?

namecheap or name.com should be some good choices. It doesn't matter that much where. You just need to make sure that the business is reliable, you have the ability to edit dns records or setup private nameservers (a must), and if you want, domain privacy. Believe me, you will receive quite a few promotional mails or junk mail when it comes time to renew your domain.

So considering that I've never owned my own actual site or anything of this sort, what would you suggest I go with / how should I go about this?

Registering the domain you want takes only minutes. After successful payment, the domain should be available almost instantly or within 24 hours, depending where you order from. Godaddy, Namecheap, and Name.com would be my picks. When the domain is active, you just need to change the nameservers on the domain to what was provided by your web host upon signup.

Big fan of eNom. Stable and if you look around you can still find good accounts. If I recall correctly Godaddy emails your customers with hosting offers, which kinda defeats the purpose. That might have changed though. Name.com is one I hear about often, but have not used.

:s

easycpanelhost.com sells them the cheapest $5.99

But aint that Hosting Included?

If its not - I wouldn't buy domains from companies who sell it for less than $7. how can any company manage to sell Domains below the registry price? I mean, haven't u heard of the EST Scam?

I think it does to a point where you can recognize whether a registrar is a source or a reseller, to avoid unnecessary premium costs.

For example, while GoDaddy.com and Namecheap.com are the original source registrars, there are many resellers of GoDaddy.com out there that might have higher registration fees.

I would also recommend to register domains through known domain registrars instead of web hosting companies or web design studios as they tend to charge higher fees. Plus, you get full control of the name yourself.

Well said Artashes, I was going to quote what he said and say something simalar to what you said, But ill save time and let you speak up.

I would suggest Directi for 2 reasons. Firstly they're really reliable and offer good support and secondly because they provide completely white labeled registrations.