Adwords - useful?

chrisj

Hey all,

Has anyone had any success with using Adwords to market their business? I tried out one of Google's $100 free vouchers and it delivered me moderate traffic, but not a great conversion rate and certainly not worth $100 of my money.

Maybe I'm missing something too but my conversions have always been incredibly poor with Adwords. Traffic yes, sales no. I've found other forms of advertising (for example advertising on relates sites, paid forum adverts etc.) more effective in bringing in revenue.

Thanks for your replies guys, think I might stick with my existing advertising and promotion methods for now (unless I see any more $100 vouchers floating around...)

If your conversions are low, then you're targeting the wrong traffic.

The purpose of Adwords (in particular) is not so much to drive traffic, but to drive targeted traffic - people looking for a solution and ready to buy.

If your Adwords underperformed, you may not have done the research needed to choose the correct words or campaign.

This is the usual reason for a failed Adwords campaign. Driving traffic is only half the battle - targeted traffic is easier to convert - but if your website is not easy to follow or designed to convert the sale, this could be where you're losing your conversion.

the last adwords campaign i had i paid someone who designs these campaigns for a living and i got the traffic but not the converted sales and my site is easy to read and navigate

Like Steve, I use Adwords daily and we get the traffic and conversions. These are niche conversions, not a general conversion like going after the word "web hosting".

Your adwords need to target a specific page within your site, not your main page. Those pages must have a high Qual Score too (adword relevance). The higher the relevance, the lower you'll actually spend for your click.

We run one particular campaign we're running this month. So far, we're running at 0.45% click-through rate (28 clicks out of the 6,240 impressions). Average position is at 6.59 and we're converting without issue.

The purpose of the adwords campaign is not to just drive traffic, but to drive targeted traffic. By narrowing down our clicks to only 28 clicks, those are 28 people that are truly interested in what we have to say. While we can spend more money and move higher in the positions, the intended target would also change.

You may have been targeting the wrong audience, wrong time, wrong day of the week etc. We turn off our campaigns during certain hours, and flood it at other times. If the person you're hiring is doing this for a living, and was able to drive traffic to your site, and you still got limited conversions, then there's something wrong with your sales funnel.

Have you evaluated where the client bailed out of the sales funnel?

adword

Hey all,

Has anyone had any success with using Adwords to market their business? I tried out one of Google's $100 free vouchers and it delivered me moderate traffic, but not a great conversion rate and certainly not worth $100 of my money.

For getting the conversion you have to optimize your landing pages, make attractive ad copy (call to action).:smash:

I would never touch it again, it is not that great as people think.

I know someone who got tons of sales with it and loads that don't, it all depends on how you do it.
There is sure an art to it!

All I can share is that the correct advertising DOES work - but you must use it correctly. For that matter EVERY form of advertisement works, but you have to target the right message at the right audience.

From hotels and real estate to clothing and beads I have used Adwords and have been successful at turning the money I spend on advertising into profit.

Don't limit your budget when running adwords, you have to loose your pocket to understand how it can benefit you. Also you may need a concern person who have expertise in it.

Last edited:
Google adwords is the best tool for doing keyword analysis.You can perform keyword research with its help and then optimize your content with the targeted keywords.It helps in getting targeted traffic to your site.Adwords helps in getting targeted traffic but you must do careful keyword research and use only relevant and highly searched keywords in title ,content and meta tags.

Like Steve, I use Adwords daily and we get the traffic and conversions. These are niche conversions, not a general conversion like going after the word "web hosting".

Your adwords need to target a specific page within your site, not your main page. Those pages must have a high Qual Score too (adword relevance). The higher the relevance, the lower you'll actually spend for your click.

We run one particular campaign we're running this month. So far, we're running at 0.45% click-through rate (28 clicks out of the 6,240 impressions). Average position is at 6.59 and we're converting without issue.

The purpose of the adwords campaign is not to just drive traffic, but to drive targeted traffic. By narrowing down our clicks to only 28 clicks, those are 28 people that are truly interested in what we have to say. While we can spend more money and move higher in the positions, the intended target would also change.

You may have been targeting the wrong audience, wrong time, wrong day of the week etc. We turn off our campaigns during certain hours, and flood it at other times. If the person you're hiring is doing this for a living, and was able to drive traffic to your site, and you still got limited conversions, then there's something wrong with your sales funnel.

Have you evaluated where the client bailed out of the sales funnel?

True. Also adwords requires an investment in order to work. You cannot hope to launch a campaign and have the profits flowing within days. It is really an effort of tweaking, trial and error. There are many variables involved and as we know with google, they are being very mysterious about what influences success.

If you really want to drive sales and traffic by means of adwords then you should read their lessons:

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=examstudy.cs

Its very dry and annoying to read but you will learn how make good campaigns that will eventually give you profits. However, and I cannot stress this enough, its not a magic tool. It requires a lot of work, monitoring and honestly money, to get it functioning.