I hate webhostingtalk

I can imagine what it is like there, because here at HD we've gone through great lengths to monitor for spam activity, with multiple methods used to protect the community. Unfortunately too many forums have fallen to shills and spammers signing up, some of whom is not easy to weed out. Experience is certainly the key advantage in keeping things straight.

I understand the bother of manning a forum like WHT or HD but they need a better appeal policy where users are listened (assumed innocent until proven guilty) to before banning them.

It's not hard to tell which forums are being actively monitored, because the ones that aren't are overrun with spam. Hosting Discussion and WHT both do a great job of weeding out spam.

I understand the bother of manning a forum like WHT or HD but they need a better appeal policy where users are listened (assumed innocent until proven guilty) to before banning them.

Or maybe people just need to read the rules and follow them. I've been at WHT for quite a few years and have yet to have any major problems. I've ruffled a few feathers here and there but who hasn't in life :)

Or maybe people just need to read the rules and follow them. I've been at WHT for quite a few years and have yet to have any major problems. I've ruffled a few feathers here and there but who hasn't in life :)
I've been there and done that. LOL. When I first started at <snipped by me>, I was replacing someone that sat at the same computer with the same IP address that I was using. I eventually got them to accept that I was not two people (I have a hard enough time just being me). Got my first violation back in 2009 when I posted an ad that my COO wrote. Other than that, it's pretty much been smooth sailing.

Sometimes its more than just reading the rules. As I explained in my case, we were two people in the same company and on the same IP range and they decided it was one person with two accounts and they never offered a through verification process to prove us wrong. We even offered that my staff de-activates his account in favor of keeping just one account they were not listening. No amount of reading their rules was gonna guard us against that situation. What they needed to do was prove that our story was either right or wrong and they never did if they did they never asked us to provide any help in the verification process.

Sometimes its more than just reading the rules. As I explained in my case, we were two people in the same company and on the same IP range and they decided it was one person with two accounts
You acted suspiciously (much like you do here, as a sig spammer), and got called on it. Yeah, that's not on WHT, that's on you.

You acted suspiciously (much like you do here, as a sig spammer), and got called on it. Yeah, that's not on WHT, that's on you.

so in my case i got banned for simply informing users on WHT that a WHT member insulted and attacked me and my company because i terminated him for not paying his bills.
This user still remains on WHT and i get banned, how is this fair

Either way Hosting Discussion is more organic with a personal member base. Sounds to me like they are the ones loosing out on this community.

That is the reason why I am here and not on WHT. The community and the admins on this site seem a lot cooler than over at WHT. Kudos to you people

Hate webhostingtalk policy. They only allow premium or corporate member to do the recommendation. If you are non - membership member, they will said you self promote and BAN your ID

I like hostingdiscussion. because some time google fetching answers from hostingdiscussion.

so in my case i got banned for simply informing users on WHT that a WHT member insulted and attacked me and my company because i terminated him for not paying his bills.
This user still remains on WHT and i get banned, how is this fair

It doesn't sound fair at all. Are you able to link the person to being a part of WHT at all? Did you contact WHT directly after this to give your evidence to back your statements you made? If you can prove your case I don't see how they could rightfully ban you for warning others about this user.

It doesn't sound fair at all. Are you able to link the person to being a part of WHT at all? Did you contact WHT directly after this to give your evidence to back your statements you made? If you can prove your case I don't see how they could rightfully ban you for warning others about this user.

yes WHT got all the evidence to prove my case, but i still got banned while this clear scammer still remains on WHT. big difference this scammer is a Corporate Member

Funny enough I got an infraction at WHT this morning...

In a thread discussing technology and how it has changed over the last 5 to 10 years - I simply spoke about my experiences in working with storage. I.e. This is this, that is that, and I have the personal experience to back it up.

Somehow, I guess, it was seen as self-promotion as I was given an alert for 'providing details about my company that were not asked for,' which was bull.

That said I think I probably have like 200+ warnings/infractions since 2007 - and I'd say all but maybe 5 of them are ridiculous and unnecessary.

One thing I especially love is when an old thread gets bumped where I linked to one of my sites that, at the time, was non-commercial. Fast forward a couple of years and the site is making revenue - the thread gets bumped to the top - and I get an infraction for linking to a commercial site I own [i.e. self-promotion].

Does it matter that, when I made the post years ago, the site was non-commercial? Nope. Does it matter that I can't go back and edit it out [because the edit time limit is 15 minutes]? Nope.

All I've ever tried to do is to be as helpful as I can to the community. I want hosting customers to be informed and to learn - and there are times where my personal experiences are pertinent and valid in the discussion.

Oh well.

Funny enough I got an infraction at WHT this morning...

In a thread discussing technology and how it has changed over the last 5 to 10 years - I simply spoke about my experiences in working with storage. I.e. This is this, that is that, and I have the personal experience to back it up.

Somehow, I guess, it was seen as self-promotion as I was given an alert for 'providing details about my company that were not asked for,' which was bull.

That said I think I probably have like 200+ warnings/infractions since 2007 - and I'd say all but maybe 5 of them are ridiculous and unnecessary.

One thing I especially love is when an old thread gets bumped where I linked to one of my sites that, at the time, was non-commercial. Fast forward a couple of years and the site is making revenue - the thread gets bumped to the top - and I get an infraction for linking to a commercial site I own [i.e. self-promotion].

Does it matter that, when I made the post years ago, the site was non-commercial? Nope. Does it matter that I can't go back and edit it out [because the edit time limit is 15 minutes]? Nope.

All I've ever tried to do is to be as helpful as I can to the community. I want hosting customers to be informed and to learn - and there are times where my personal experiences are pertinent and valid in the discussion.

Oh well.
and bet i can guess who gave you the infraction. his name is is also associated with a Grizzly or Polar

and bet i can guess who gave you the infraction. his name is is also associated with a Grizzly or Polar
Bear is actually a nice guy - I talk to him on Skype from time to time but not about WHT or issues at WHT. Business is business, personal is personal.

That said there are like 3 mods there that give, in my experience, the majority of the infractions.

I've even had other moderators quote me, and respond to me, and then I've been infracted later on by another mod for the same content the other mod quoted and responded to...

It is what it is. It's their playground and their rules.

Ouch. Could it be that it was a simple lack of attention by a moderator who would look at one specific post but not the overall discussion or the dates of posts in question?

That said I think I probably have like 200+ warnings/infractions since 2007

How many?? :uhh: I'd say you are probably on the opposite spectrum here, of members who are loved by the administration! :) How does one accumulate that many warnings/infractions without losing account privileges on such a strictly run community?

Ouch. Could it be that it was a simple lack of attention by a moderator who would look at one specific post but not the overall discussion or the dates of posts in question?
The original infraction was due to a lack of attention. Them subsequently refusal to remove the infraction even with evidence having been provided was what bothered me the most. That said - it's just a forum and if they don't want me posting - I'll post somewhere else. :)

How many?? :uhh: I'd say you are probably on the opposite spectrum here, of members who are loved by the administration! :)
I get along with all of the moderation team just fine - most of them are great people... Just some of them interpret the rules more strictly than others - even myself.

I don't see a way to see the list anymore - I used to be able to - but it was literally all crap. I've never been suspended [temporarily or not] or banned.

It may be more like 80 and I've exaggerated... Either way - the point is that I've gotten a lot of warnings and infractions for absolutely piddly stuff that didn't even make sense.

How does one accumulate that many warnings/infractions without losing account privileges on such a strictly run community?
Because I never really did anything wrong.

Then again I was posting something like 25 posts/day for like 2 years. It's a lot easier to get warnings in system like WHT when you're that active. You don't even really have to do anything wrong - enough posts and something is going to be interpreted by somebody as a violation.

I think I have maybe 5 legitimate warnings/infractions over there over the last 9 years. Ones that I got and I was like, 'Yeah, I should have known better...'

The rest are, 'Are you kidding me? Seriously?'

Last edited: