I miss FrontPage

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I miss Microsoft FrontPage. I built not one website with that piece of software back in the late 90s early 00s. Amateur as hell, mostly HTML-based, but man it was an easy to figure out WYSIWYG editor.

I've been looking for a replacement recently and to my surprise came up with nada. Signed up for a couple of "cloud-based" WYSIWYG editors (is everything in the cloud nowadays?), but nothing I could easily figure out.

Any chance someone knows a similar product to FrontPage?

FrontPage was like a gateway drug for most web developers. Everyone started with it, and then many graduated to Macromedia Dreamweaver (Macromedia, the folks that brought us Flash and Shockwave :) ). Dreamweaver was later rolled into Adobe's suite of tools.

For HTML sites, FrontPage had so much bloat, but Dreamweaver (back then) was streamlined. The last time I used Dreamweaver was a few years ago and it started to get some bloat, but still manageable.

Get your hands on Dreamweaver. Handy visual, great code view (color), and if you want to integrate it to WordPress you can - but great as a standalone product.

CoffeeCup HTML is another that seems to always get a little notice - I've never used it, but I've had many people bring me a site built in CoffeeCup that they want converted to WordPress.

Oh ya, Dreamweaver, I remember that one. I actually tried adapting to it back in the day, as it was getting traction. Didn't go too well for me then, maybe because I was soooo good and quick (or so I thought) with FrontPage. I could create a new page (set up the settings) in what seemed like a minute or two max.

I am going to give it another look. That and CoffeeCup, which sounds familiar.

Thank you, @bigredseo Watching a YT tutorial on Dreamweaver for beginners. Definitely looks something I can understand. I am going to rely on YT for CoffeeCup education as well, as I certainly like their value proposition better. Paying $100 one time beats having to pay $30/mo to Adobe.

I started off with FrontPage as well. Went through their tutorial and launched my first website, "YourType.com" Answered the phone, "We're your type." Of course that was a typesetting business back in 1996. Transitioned to Dreamweaver and found that to be quite easy to adapt to. I still have Dreamweaver on my laptop.

I think I tried FrontPage after I had already used DreamWeaver for some time but I just found FrontPage too confusing.

But man, thinking back to my most successful DreamWeaver website is a throw back. It goes against everything I now know about web design & development - the whole website was basically a table. :sick:

It was a great piece of software in the early 2000's for sure but once I started using Dreamweaver I never used it again.

Ha! I was exploring all these wonderful products when I remembered that I am on a Mac. The options have just gotten a lot more narrow. 😂

My first experience working with code was in the early 2000s with Windows Notepad.
I can't describe how excited I was after creating the first HTML page.:D
Later on, DreamWeaver became very popular.

WOW. Frontpage, that's going back a few years. I always used it.

I had one client who was annoyed when it was removed from my server as they did all their sites in it as it was for them to create the site and hit a button and it was published.

It took me some time to get them used to using an html editor and then for them to manually upload their pages.

even now as they no longer hosting with me, they still using basic html for their websites

I think Frontpage was before my time... but I started on Dreamweaver before Adobe went all cloud It helped me learn a heck of a lot about HTML, CSS, and JS, I remember even setting up, my very first localhost and working on those files with Dreamweaver and then started into PHP I was mostly writing contact forms and really basic PHP stuff :p. It was however an invaluable tool in my journey.

While reading through the new replies on this thread, I was reminded about another one of my earlier websites. I created the whole thing in Photoshop and just exported it as HTML - I then made any future edits in Dreamweaver. What a monstrosity! The whole website was essentially image after image. I almost wish I still had a copy of that website, just to laugh at myself.

Internet archive doesn't seem to display it properly, probably something to do with it just being a large image made from many smaller images. :oops:

While reading through the new replies on this thread, I was reminded about another one of my earlier websites. I created the whole thing in Photoshop and just exported it as HTML - I then made any future edits in Dreamweaver. What a monstrosity! The whole website was essentially image after image. I almost wish I still had a copy of that website, just to laugh at myself.

Internet archive doesn't seem to display it properly, probably something to do with it just being a large image made from many smaller images. :oops:
Omw yes, i think it was called slices or something like that. We used that to make HTML emailers LOL.

See, I could never get the popularity of GUI's like that for web design. Some stuff, yeah, but not that. Front Page, Dreamweaver, all that.. Nah, just give me a good old text editor (UEStudio is one of the best for stuff like that) and I'll be fine