Shared host for moderate-ish usage...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyfool

Hi all :)

I am a first time website maker and need a web host. I am about to start a website which will have a software of size 10 MB available to download, and screenshots and 5-6 flash tutorials. I will also run a forum which will have at least 30 friends as registered users in 3 months. My programmer told me I might not be able to run this on a $10 per month type shared host because of CPU usage etc issues. Is this true? If it can be run on shared, which is the best shared host to use for my purposes?

I have done quite some reasearch, but the reviews out there seem unreliable… thats why asking u experienced guys directly. Any help/info from experienced folks would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks

You should be fine to run that one that type of a plan. Especially with only 30 or so registered users on the forum.

Chances are even a $5 shared hosting account will do the job. I don't see anything in your description of the situation that would suggest significant amounts of CPU usage.

Ok.. thanks a lot for the replies, can u tell me very roughly what number of active users (or maybe posts per day) may warrant CPU issues (I dont have any idea)

There's probably no way to answer your question without the spec's of the server and knowing your software. I'll give you a few points to follow.

1. If it's a personal site or a hobby bargain hosts ~$5 per month will probably suit your needs initially.

2. If it's a business look towards hosts that charge a bit more.

3. If you sign up for the hosts largest plan, you may not be able to expand to a plan with more resources later on.

4. Go with a host that has a XX day money back guarantee for your first site.

5. Select a plan with a common control panel. Some hosts use panels that they've written, which isn't necessarily bad, however, it may limit your sites portability should you choose to move. For example if you use cPanel a host can transfer a site in minutes and you'll not even notice a change.

Remember 'you get what you pay for' so don't sign up with a host that charges $1 per year for 10 Gb of storage and 10000 Gb of bandwidth.

It will probably take a few months for your site to get a large amount of traffic, so if your site's pages or downloads are extremely slow in the first few weeks you either have the wrong plan or the wrong company.

Hi,

I think you would be fine even with this plan:

200 MB space
2000 MB bandwidth
Unlimited features (databases, email accounts, subdomains, etc.)
WHM / cPanel Pro / Fantastico DeLuxe / RVSkin
Private and anonymous nameservers
Free domain reseller account
24/7 Helpdesk, Email and LiveChat Support
Daily / weekly / monthly backups
Free setup without any hidden extra fees

The price is only $1.55 per month

You may find more details about Lotosus hosting services at Premium cPanel Hosting page.

If you're still looking :)

100MB Space
2GB Bandwidth
cPanel, 24/7 support, 99.9% Guaranteed, Daily back ups etc
And all the usual features... (RandSHosting.com shows all)

$0.25 per month.

We can do other plans at this price which are proportional. i.e.

200MB, 300MB 400MB etc
4GB BW 6GB 8GB etc
$0.50 $0.75 $1 etc

Or as you mentionaed you may need extra bandwidth, in which case $2 for every extra 10GB Bandwidth.

This offer is only available for one month. Contact me if interested.

Thanks,
Rich

This should fit you pretty well:

25GB Transfer
500mb Quota

CPanel, Fantastico, ClickBe!, Unlimited Subdomains, Unlimited E-mails, Pre-Installed Scripts, Aliases/fowards, DNS, PHP / MySQL Database / Custom CGI, SSH, FTP, cgi-bin, Live Support.

For Just $3.00/mo

Use coupon code: SPRING and get 50% off your first month.

You can order it here.

As your requirments are i would like to present you our linux hosting proffesional package which includes.

DiskSpace : 150 GB
Bandwidth : 3500 GB
Unlimited mysql databases
RvsiteBuilder Pro
Fantastico Deluxe
cPanel 11
Php 5.2.5 and Mysql 5
1 Free domain
Only for $4.95/month

We also offer 30days moneyback gurantee and 99.9% uptime gurantee.

For information on this package please visit : http://www.lagoonhost.com/shared/linux/hostinpack/pro.html

Hi all :)

I am a first time website maker and need a web host. I am about to start a website which will have a software of size 10 MB available to download, and screenshots and 5-6 flash tutorials. I will also run a forum which will have at least 30 friends as registered users in 3 months. My programmer told me I might not be able to run this on a $10 per month type shared host because of CPU usage etc issues. Is this true? If it can be run on shared, which is the best shared host to use for my purposes?

I have done quite some reasearch, but the reviews out there seem unreliable… thats why asking u experienced guys directly. Any help/info from experienced folks would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks

a medium shared hosting plan would be great for you

Status
Not open for further replies.