Splash Host - not so good any more

pmhoran

I signed up for a Reseller account with Splash Host in Feb 2003.

They came highly recommended from a variety of sources and Alan Reid (owner) was very patient in answering a few pre-Sales questions ... and extremely considerate in offering me a discount when he learned that although I wanted a Reseller account I was not a reseller and that I was working within a very limited income.

Support & service were excellent ... Splash Host was without a doubt the absolute best web host I have ever signed up with. I only ever had praise & appreciation for Splash Host and Alan Reid.

Then in about June 2004 ... everything changed dramatically for the worse. Or thats how it seemed to me. There seemed to be so many frequent "little things" going wrong all the time. Support Tickets would get closed off without ever being answered. The forum ... it seemed Alan and his support staff were chronically absent from it leaving myself and other customers with a growing list of unanswered questions.

Then the server I was on developed a case of terminal slowness. The websites seemed to serve up the pages fast enough for visitors ... but I was getting constant complaints about how slow Cpanel and Webmail were from the friends I give webspace to. Since July 2004 I have generated Support Tickets & sent emails directly to Alan ... most times they all went unanswered. It seems the only ones that warranted a response were those involving money.

It was in July that little voice in the back of my head was telling me I should seriously consider moving the sites ... but because of the nearly 16 months of excellent service I had had previous, I fought the urge.

Finally in December 2004 ... the 6 months of unsatisfactory service & lack of responses to my queries was enough to outweigh the months of excellent service ... and I chose to move to a new web host.

Alan apparently has another business ... Ripple Host ... not bad plans for a small end user, very reasonable prices ... and no support is offered. And I have to admit ... there is nothing in the way the site presents itself or in the plans that are offered that would entice me to have any confidence in Ripple Host whatsoever.

I do not know what happened with Splash Host ... despite posing questions no answers were ever forthcoming. The past few months it was like Splash Host was taking my money ... giving extremel poor service ... and basically encouraging everyone to move to another host without actually saying anything. Its sad really. I recommended Splash Host to so many people who ended up signing up with them ... and now my credibility has been tarnished because of Splash Host's choice to change from being one of the very best hosts on the net to being lumped in with the very worst. And in such a short period of time.

I may be adding to this review in a few more weeks. I have heard "horror stories" of others experiences of when they cancel their accounts and continue to be charged monthly for their spaces. But that, right now, is all hearsay and I cannot in all honesty comment about the veracity of those comments. But ... if it does happen to me I definitely comment on it in an additional post here ;)

Peter

Nice review, sorry to hear about your difficulties with Splash host. I remember you had mentioned something about trying to move all accounts from Splash to your new host via WHM, did that ever work out for you? Did Splash at least let you get your stuff off the server?

Yes ... I got everything moved okay. One site at a time ;) But that was okay.

I had taken copies of all the sites ... and then sent an email to all the email addresses I had for Alan and issued a Support Ticket on Dec 28 (my monthly renewal date) advising them that it was my 30 Day Notice of Cancellation ... but that I would advise them when all my sites were moved and they could delete my account & site at that time. Yesterday I deleted all the spaces & accounts I had set up on my space ... and advised them again by email they could now delete my account & web space.

I have not received any response from Alan or Splash Host about my moving or account cancellation. Nor was anything done by Splash Host that might be considered "underhanded" at all. But although other hosts have deleted my sites immediately upon receiving a Cancellation Notice ... Splash Host continued to be honorable & considerate of my wishes, as I had always known them to be previously. Mind you, just in case they turned out to be different than I thought they were ... I did make sure I had current updates of all the sites before I advised them I was cancelling my account. :)

Peter

Last edited:
Nice review Peter. I love to read details and yes, Alan had a good reputation and both splashhost and ripplehost were relatively known names in the industry. Non-responsiveness was an issue that was reported by customers in the last few months. :(

I have not received any response from Alan or Splash Host about my moving or account cancellation.
So how do you know they won't continue to charge you?

Hi Dan ... thanks for the comments.

I just realized my math in my original post was more than a wee bit off :) I guess I was with Splash Host for 22 months :)

Anyway ... as I insinuated, I do not know for sure that I will not be charged. Not as yet anyway. But I have always known (at least before these problems) Alan Reid to possess a significant amount of honour & integrity ... and thats why I have trouble believing the "horror stories" written by others. I do not know the kind of people the posters are ... but I think I have grown to know the type of person Alan is. I just cannot bring myself to believe the Alan I know would be capable of knowingly doing or even having a hand in, the things Splash Host has been accused of.

JMHO
Peter

Aaarrrggghhh!!! The horror stories might be true

I woke up this morning to find 2 emails from Splash Host Billing. One notifying me of an invoice being issued for the web space I cancelled on Dec 28th. And one saying it was Declined ... which is nothing new since I have had to manually process the monthly payments since last June or July (something about payments using Visa from Canada could not be processed in batches anymore or some such fool thing).

I am giving Splash Host and Alan Reid the "benefit of the doubt" right now. Maybe I did not meet their procedural needs when I cancelled. But when I received no response what so ever from my 30 Day Notice of Cancellation (issued on the monthly renewal date) nor when I advised I had transferred all the sites and he could Delete the space & account ... I assumed everything was in order.

I fired off an email asking him to delete the Invoice, as well as my account & webspace ... and to take whatever measures are necessary to insure this doesn't happen again.

Although I am still hopeful this is just an error on Splash Host's side ... the whole scenario is beginning to feel like the "horror stories" I had read about that other former customers were/are experiencing. Just in case ... I am going to take whatever measures I can to insure any charges manually processed by Splash Host against the Visa card are refused by Visa. During these past 6 or so months, when I did not manually pay an Invoice immediately ... Splash Host did manually process the payment themselves. I realize now ... maybe I should have kicked up a stink about it then ... but I did not.

Anyway ... the saga continues.

Peter

Hi,

We have just acquired Splash Host. No public announcements are really being made yet until we have estabilished a solid technical support base then concentrate on the billing but if you bear with us over the next few days things should dramatically improve.

Please see http://www.splashadmin.com for news regarding the acquisition.

Matt

voxtreme-matt said:
Hi,

We have just acquired Splash Host. No public announcements are really being made yet until we have estabilished a solid technical support base then concentrate on the billing but if you bear with us over the next few days things should dramatically improve.

Please see http://www.splashadmin.com for news regarding the acquisition.

Matt

Hi Matt ...

Its too bad you had not acquired Splash Host a couple months ago. I may have still been a customer :)

I look forward to not having to worry about being billed for my cancelled webspace :)

I wish you and Voxtreme every success with the Splash Host business. Hopefully you will not have too much difficulty overcoming the "bad press" Splash Host has experienced these past 6 or so months.

Peter

Maybe I am just an idiot ... or maybe I just do not understand all that is involved ... BUT ... things have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous since Voxtreme bought Splash Host.

8 DAYS after their acquisition ... I am STILL WAITING for Voxtreme to figure things out and cancel the invoice that should never have been issued ... AND ... to cancel my account & webspace which should have been done by Splash Host weeks ago.

They have my name, they have the domain name my account was registered under, they have my login name for the account, they have the IP numbers that were assigned to my name servers, they have the Invoice Number that should never have been issued.

Isn't that enough to cancel anything and everything to do with me and my account??? Isn't it just a matter of going into the billing system (Modern Bill) ... calling up the Invoice Number ... verifying its the right Invoice and click Cancel or something? And then adjust the billing so I do not get billed again???

And cancelling my webspace account cannot be that much different than in my own reseller account. Just select it to remove the account and the web space.

Gad ... initially I got emails saying to be patient and they will fix it all up for me. Then days & days of silence. Now they are requesting "customer order numbers" from previous invoices ... apparently before they can cancel the current invoice. Whats up with that??? Like ... does anyone who is not in business actually even keep copies of old receipts for their web space payments??? I get an Invoice ... its paid ... it shows up on my account as paid ... it gets deleted.

This whole scenario is just driving me :crazy2:

Peter

Peter, situation sounds really bad. Might be a good plan to try and get the phone number (direct) to one of the CEO's or something and get up their nose. Sounds ridiculous whats happening to you!

~Equinox

Hiya Equinox ...

I thought of phoning ... but they are in the UK and my budget doesn't really allow for overseas calls :) Mind you ... if they try to process a payment for the outstanding invoice ... they can be guaranteed I will be calling :) Actually, they could expect a couple calls. One from me and one from my lawyer. I tend to get real nasty when I feel a line has been crossed .. and damned the cost hahahahha.

To their credit though ... apparently they have not tried to process a payment yet for the outstanding invoice.

Peter

Last edited:
Unusual, I've met the guys from Vox and they're committed professionals.

I will say from working the other end of the takeovers on occasion - that the data you get from the previous host is not always upto scratch, if it even exists at all. Having had people spend *days* wading through 8000+ worldpay payments trying to find something to refund, I can honsetly say, from the hosts perspective ...
Please provide as much information as possible to track down your account details and payments (except the actual ccard no!) - especially if you can confirm invoice numbers/amounts and dates form your statements etc- it can considerably narrow the field - your ccard company can provide a lot of that info if you no longer have the paper statements - but they will *only* provide it to you not to the host.

If you dont get any response from them this week, let me know, being in the UK I dont have the cost or time difference to call them for you and see what can be done, also, have you at least had an "ack" for the email delivery ? it may be your domain still on their system and thus treating your incoming as spam/faked ?

othellotech said:
Unusual, I've met the guys from Vox and they're committed professionals.

Well ... in my view so far ... their performance with my issues are significantly less than stellar :)

othellotech said:
Having had people spend *days* wading through 8000+ worldpay payments trying to find something to refund, I can honsetly say, from the hosts perspective ...
Please provide as much information as possible to track down your account details and payments (except the actual ccard no!) - especially if you can confirm invoice numbers/amounts and dates form your statements etc- it can considerably narrow the field - your ccard company can provide a lot of that info if you no longer have the paper statements - but they will *only* provide it to you not to the host.

But in my case ... there is no refund to process. They just need to cancel the outstanding invoice ... and delete my account.

othellotech said:
If you dont get any response from them this week, let me know, being in the UK I dont have the cost or time difference to call them for you and see what can be done, also, have you at least had an "ack" for the email delivery ? it may be your domain still on their system and thus treating your incoming as spam/faked ?

I appreciate the offer ... thanks. What is an "ack"??? Anyway ... my registered email with Splash Host has always been one provided by my ISP. And my correspondence thus far has been with Matt & Peter via that email address ... so I do not think there is a problem with it being considered spam or faked ;)

Peter

Latest update ....

Seems my "saga" is over. The 23rd (the date I usually get an invoice) has come and past ... and no invoice.

I got an email assurance from Matt that Voxtreme would not issue a new invoice nor would it try to collect the invoice that still showed as outstanding. And it appears they are being true to their word.

I haven't checked if my webspace is still there ... or if I can still login to it. But when I got the assurances I decided not to frustrate myself about the webspace. They will delete it when they get around to it I guess.

Anyway ... as far as Voxtreme is concerned ... today I am a happy camper. And once again I hope they can resurrect Splash Host to being the web host they used to be.

Peter