Unimited Trap

DanMartin

We humans have unlimited wants. To fulfill these unlimited wants we look for unlimited things. I know that many of us get caught to the phrase "unlimited space". Many shared web hosting providers know, that no one is going to use more than 5GB web space. Even this is too much for me. A fully complete website with 100 pages including flash animation might not exceed 20MB. If you have hundred sites: 20MB x 100 = 2000MB (2MB).

Think, we might spend additional $4/month just for this "unlimited" phrase which is a waste of money! You could have bought 6 more additional domains with this wasted money and have 6 more websites which can earn money.

Next time before you buy any hosting, Think of this.

Consider sites with tons of media, youtube clones, etc.
I have unlimited limits on my mobile phone.. Ever compared overselling to that? Isn't it the same thing?

it is unlimited if your website isn't bandwidth monster.If it is they will shortly thank you and tell you some reason that your website is in conflict with others on same server.

Consider sites with tons of media, youtube clones, etc.
I have unlimited limits on my mobile phone.. Ever compared overselling to that? Isn't it the same thing?

For these kind of sites (Youtube etc.) using a dedicated server is the best thing. I do not think shared hosting would be used for these sites. I'm talking about shared hosting here!

We humans have unlimited wants. To fulfill these unlimited wants we look for unlimited things. I know that many of us get caught to the phrase "unlimited space". Many shared web hosting providers know, that no one is going to use more than 5GB web space. Even this is too much for me. A fully complete website with 100 pages including flash animation might not exceed 20MB. If you have hundred sites: 20MB x 100 = 2000MB (2MB).

Think, we might spend additional $4/month just for this "unlimited" phrase which is a waste of money! You could have bought 6 more additional domains with this wasted money and have 6 more websites which can earn money.

Next time before you buy any hosting, Think of this.

I'm confused, Groovywebhosting.com offers an unlimited plan..
You've also got to consider that many sites are much larger than 20MB.

I'm confused, Groovywebhosting.com offers an unlimited plan..
You've also got to consider that many sites are much larger than 20MB.

Yes Groovywebhosting.com offers an unlimited plan. But when a customer asks for my opinion, I do not recommend this unlimited plan. According to my experience with websites (business, personal etc.) it does not even take 10MB. But if you are thinking of starting an e-commerce site Dedicated server is a good option rather than having a shared hosting.

If you can ask a web developers or designer he would say that most sites do not exceed 20MB.

Unlimitied hosting is a scam. I can see offering unlimited features such as email addresses and MySQL databases but, unlimited space and bandwidth are not possible, and any host that claims to offer unlimited space/bandwidth should not be trusted AT ALL!

Yes Groovywebhosting.com offers an unlimited plan. But when a customer asks for my opinion, I do not recommend this unlimited plan. According to my experience with websites (business, personal etc.) it does not even take 10MB. But if you are thinking of starting an e-commerce site Dedicated server is a good option rather than having a shared hosting.

If you can ask a web developers or designer he would say that most sites do not exceed 20MB.

Why do you have an unlimited plan if you don't recommend it?

I have noticed that more and more "big" hosts (hostgator, site5, dreamhost, etc..) are all of a sudden pushing unlimited everything plans for $7/mo. Go figure. They most likely bank on the fact that nobody reads their tos which states that if you use more than 0.000000001% of their cpu for more than 1 second, you get suspended.

Unlimited is not a trick, per se, but it's not realisticaly possible. Check your hosts Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy before signing any contracts. There are always clauses that relate to system resources.

Unlimited is not a trick, per se, but it's not realisticaly possible. Check your hosts Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy before signing any contracts. There are always clauses that relate to system resources.

Which makes it exactly that - a trick. :)

Unlimited hosting is not essential in web hosting because nobody is using (nor they can use) unlimited resources.

It's not a trick. Overselling is a trick.

Unlimited is by definition a lie. It is an impossibility to offer so those who offer it are in fact lying.

Cut and dry.

It's not a trick. Overselling is a trick.

Unlimited is by definition a lie. It is an impossibility to offer so those who offer it are in fact lying.

Cut and dry.

Yes, but isn't offering unlimited hosting automatically assumes overselling since you obviously can't deliver them? Now, when you place a limit of 5000GB bandwidth on a $5 plan, that's overselling as well, if you can't deliver it without loss. Unlimited has been a marketing play for such a long time that considering all restrictive stipulations in terms of service I see it nothing more than a trick. (Which is essentially same as a lie in my eyes).

It’s a trap, scam, lie and a pain to smaller companies but it will never end. Due to the marketing involved with offering 1 package in some cases (siteground is an example) and the fact that a lot of less experienced users will jump at an unlimited offer.

Most if not all of us know that unlimited is never truly unlimited, everyone offers it in every industry, phones being another big example but there is always a TOS or AUP restriction hiding in the wings on the however many hundredth line as it where.

Unfortunately as said, it doesn’t seem to ever end nor will it ever end, that is until people get stung by said companies and start to check the TOS/AUP that they agree to when handing over their details, and payment. The second of which most never get to see again after that experience.

Yes, less experienced person will surely get trapped to this magical word "Unlimited". After one year or so he will come to his senses. By now moving his site to another hosting provider would be a tedious job. Now this is the trap of unlimited.

And yet, I see an awful lot of recommendations for HostGator, who offers unlimited space and bandwidth for shared hosting, but not for VPS or dedicated.

Think, we might spend additional $4/month just for this "unlimited" phrase which is a waste of money!

Problem is unlimited hosting companies do not charge $4/mo extra - they are charging $4.99 (or some even $3.99/mo) for the unlimited hosting. Can you find me web host that offers 20MB storage with 200MB bandwidth and charges $0.99/mo? ;)

Can you find me web host that offers 20MB storage with 200MB bandwidth and charges $0.99/mo?
And the counter question would be, "Is there not a finite amount of space and bandwidth available to the host itself?" And is there not a calculated risk that a shared client will not oversaturate that space and bandwidth to the detriment of the hosts other clients?