Will you keep a server,cheap but not so efficient?

Jina293

Hi friends,

Just as the title,what would you do,if your server is cheap but not so efficient?Quit or just tolerate?Thanks!

Hi friends,

Just as the title,what would you do,if your server is cheap but not so efficient?Quit or just tolerate?Thanks!

I would look for a new server, but as they say you get what you paid for, but then i have a cheap $2 sever that i have installed CentOS Web Panel on and it is very efficient

I would look for a new server, but as they say you get what you paid for, but then i have a cheap $2 sever that i have installed CentOS Web Panel on and it is very efficient

What are the specs on that $2 server? I'd hope you're not running any of your clients sites on it as a $2 server doesn't seem profitable for your provider.

What are the specs on that $2 server? I'd hope you're not running any of your clients sites on it as a $2 server doesn't seem profitable for your provider.

it was on a special promo code on WHT

100 GB disc
1 GB memory
1 TB bandwidth

I have 2 of these servers, with one being used as a backup server after the backup server i had in Germany decided after the brexit vote to increase the cost from $7 to $21 and olny giving me 1 weeks notice of the 3 fold increase.

it was on a special promo code on WHT

100 GB disc
1 GB memory
1 TB bandwidth

I have 2 of these servers, with one being used as a backup server after the backup server i had in Germany decided after the brexit vote to increase the cost from $7 to $21 and olny giving me 1 weeks notice of the 3 fold increase.

What is the other 1 for? $2 per month, those resources, it defiantly isn't profitable so must be oversold.

But if it works for you, I guess you can't complain.

What company bumped their prices to $21 after 1 week? That is terrible practice...

What is the other 1 for? $2 per month, those resources, it defiantly isn't profitable so must be oversold.

But if it works for you, I guess you can't complain.

What company bumped their prices to $21 after 1 week? That is terrible practice...

the specs are the same. no i had a backup server for 3 years and paying $7 a month. nothing fancy i had DNSonly installed just to backup my other servers through cpremote. once the brexit vote was in and it was a vote to leave the EU, they told me that my monthly charge would go to $21 a month from next invoice, so only gave me a weeks notice before the charge would go up.

yes the $2 server will most likely be oversold at that price, but no issues with the backup server, the other 1 i have installed centos web panel and may place 1 of my sites on to see how it handles and then may put some plans on ebay for that server. At least i know what i am doing and can provide support more than a lot of the hosts that sell on ebay

yes the $2 server will most likely be oversold at that price, but no issues with the backup server, the other 1 i have installed centos web panel and may place 1 of my sites on to see how it handles and then may put some plans on ebay for that server. At least i know what i am doing and can provide support more than a lot of the hosts that sell on ebay

But if your provider has issues (i.e oversold the node to the point its straining your eBay clients)? You can provide all the support you like but at the end of the day, the node would be oversold at those prices.

It'll end up being more hassle than its worth in my opinion and could end up biting you.

Why not just spin up your own nodes?

I'm assuming by the query that you knew what to expect when you purchased that cheap server? If not, then move on and migrate elsewhere. It all depends on what you're using that server for and how critical it is for the server to be "efficient."

I'm assuming by the query that you knew what to expect when you purchased that cheap server? If not, then move on and migrate elsewhere. It all depends on what you're using that server for and how critical it is for the server to be "efficient."

the way i read the OPs query is they purchased a cheap server and it is not as efficient as they expected and asking us if we would quit or just put up with it.

but as you say it depends what you are using the server for

Hi friends,

It depends upon your requirement and whether the price you are paying for the server, do you think are you getting ROI ? if you are getting it then you can keep it if not then find another provider.

I will prefer latest technology. I wont use any server with more than 5 years. I am really afraid of failure which could cause a lot of loss.

I will prefer latest technology. I wont use any server with more than 5 years. I am really afraid of failure which could cause a lot of loss.
A new server can also fail, just like a new car can fail.

you see many vintage cars on the road while you see many modern cars in the scrap yards.

My own PC is 10 year old and still working great as if it was new as i know how to look after it

I would definitely quit. I know it may take lots of efforts may be some downtime to move out, but it is definitely worth it. I would mind keeping a backup server on such a host, but definitely not the mail business servers.

Hello,

As always it's a matter of perspective.
It depends on so many things.
For example if the cheap server do the job, why change ?
Changing server also means adapt code and eventually face problems.
On the other hand changing hardware and getting more ressouces is a good thing.
If you have the time the best is to wait for a good offer, schedule a migration, which means buy the new server, deploy websites on it and test them.
Then migrate your websites / services.