VPS vs Dedicated

The best way to figure it out is to look at your resource utilization within your server or control panel. If your using cpanel/whm, you can easily find this info. Then you can establish what resources you will need, and that can in most cases determine if you need a VPS or an entire dedicated server.

Start with a VPS and upgrade as you need. Once you can't upgrade anymore get a dedicated server.

This is very true. Start with a VPS and upgrade untill you cant get any bigger than the biggest Hybrid Server. Then upgrade to something like a Quad Core. :)

- Many Thanks,

For me, VPS is indeed a great start for your small-medium sized business on the internet. We should apply this before we involve to the dedicated server.

I think if your requirement calls for multiple VPS then it is much cheaper to get dedicated server and host your own multiple VPS.

I think it all depends on the platform you're hosting your VPS on. We have multiple clients that switched from a dedicated server to a VPS because they were looking for the flexibility and scalability that a VPS can offer that a dedicated can't.

If you are worried about resources being oversold or exhausted on the VPS server, opt in for a plan that has guaranteed resources.

If you started out with a VPS, and kept on upgrading it as needed, eventually you would end up with the only VPS that fits on the host. At this point it would be worth considering switching to dedicated, but even then there could be some compelling reasons to stick with the VPS.

The difference between a dedicated server and a server running one VPS which is allocated all the resources would simply be the overhead of virtualization itself, and there might be some value in reclaiming those few percent. However, at this stage you already have a very large VPS that has obviously done well for you and got you this far, so it might be better to stick with what you know works rather than chasing a little performance.

Another aspect is cost. It is actually easier for a hosting provider to manage VPSs than dedicated servers. Providing backups is certainly easier, as well as upgrading you to newer hardware as appropriate, or onto a spare host should there be a hardware problem. If it is easier then it is probably cheaper. I would expect a VPS plan so big that it would take up a whole server to be cheaper than renting that server directly (assuming the hosting company uses its own equipment of course).

As virtualization gets better the advantage of direct access to the hardware becomes outweighed by the convenience and cost reduction of managing a virtual infrastructure. Of course if you have unusual requirements such as lots of one resource (disk/memory/cpu), then being shoehorned into a typical VPS package just might not make sense. There is a lot to be said for the flexibility you get with dedicated/colocation. If you don't need that level of customization then I see little sense in not going with a VPS.

Jim

For high level of security, Dedicated servers are a better option. They not only provide security but better customer experience as well.

For high level of security, Dedicated servers are a better option. They not only provide security but better customer experience as well.
Sorry, on this I respectfully disagree. Customer experience has more to do with customer support rather than infrastructure differences between the two. Security on VPS and dedicated can both be terrible ... or exceptionally locked down. :)

The choice depends on your requirement. If you need fully secure servers and need to invest in dedicated servers else you can go with others.

Sorry, on this I respectfully disagree. Customer experience has more to do with customer support rather than infrastructure differences between the two. Security on VPS and dedicated can both be terrible ... or exceptionally locked down. :)

Agreed completely Steve, although both are very important :)

Yea, I would have to agree...customer experience is almost entirely based off of your dedication towards them!

With regard to the initial post - I think it may be best to go with a VPS, unless you know for sure that you will be experiencing growth. If you go with a knowledgeable and responsive host, it shouldn't be a problem for them to transfer you over to a dedicated server.

A dedicated server with remote reboots and KVM is the best choice. You never know what you are going to get with a Shared VPS setup.