Webhostingtalk

Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...

They don't normally delete posts.

They do ask you though to submit proof that you are/where a customer, so that they can ensure that it is a legit review (as in you are actually a customer of theirs).

Personally, I do not see anything wrong in this approach, it weeds out shills, or people posting bad things about one of their competitors. Like anything though, it is not going to be perfect, they will make mistakes.

Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...

Moderation is something that every such forum needs, otherwise nothing will stop pissed off clients bashing hosts left and right. Also consider this - there isn't another forum with so many people who have knowledge from this particular niche and those are people who can easily read such a thread and determine who has more rights in the case - host or clients.

As someone visiting the forums almost on a daily basis I can tell you that daily there quite a few negative posts about certain companies. Sometimes its really a horrible service from a host, sometimes its a person that got pissed for all the wrong reasons. At the end of the day anyone can express an opinion but they have to be prepared to accept the opinions of others too - this is the magic of the public forum :rolleyes2

I don't think you need to avoid them - just accept that you are being socially engineered. it isn't different for any forum - hostingdiscussion is the same. Why do I reply to threads on any forum? Because my sig gets viewed and maybe somebody comes by the my website and signs up. Assume that's why you're seeing every response to every thread and govern your reaction accordingly and suddenly things have a whole new light.

Am I being cynical or jaded? I prefer to consider myself seasoned.

I've been on WHT since I think 2001 or 2002... I don't recall. All the moderation things they do are in place for a reason. Many of the reasons have been forgotten but it's the way things are now. They're running a forum with who knows how many active members and the rules are in place to stop things from being the wild west show. It used to be pretty wild.

They aren't out to 'get' anyone and they don't owe you anything. If you like their service, part of the price of admission is working with their rules. if you don't like the rules or the community or whatever, as you said in your first post, avoid them. Not much more to be said about the topic.

Yeah, the whole thing is fake. Welcome to the matrix.

It amazing em how Google rewards such corrupt websites.

On WHT did you use the report button and provide the details of which site you hosted with the host you were leaving a review of, if you did not do this then they will delete posts as they have no idea if the review was genuine as you could just be a competitor bad mouthing the competition

That is unusual. I rarely if ever see then delete posts, though a great many that you just described certainly should be.

I will agree that there are issues at WHT and things that can be quite irritating, but that is the same of just about every forum.

The moderation is lacking when it comes to the types of posts that are allowed at WHT. Some of the biggest offenders are those that post their support questions on WHT when they should be asking their provider for help. Then you have the people that have really unrealistic requests for service and want $4000 servers for $30/mo. And finally the ones that come to WHT to bitch that it took more than 5 seconds to get their order processed and were completely offended that the reason their order was held up was because they used someone else's credentials and a stolen credit card.

99.9% of the post at WHT are crap, I'll give you that. But I have rarely if ever seen them delete any of these crap posts. If they are now, its a great step in the right direction.

That is unusual. I rarely if ever see then delete posts, though a great many that you just described certainly should be.

I will agree that there are issues at WHT and things that can be quite irritating, but that is the same of just about every forum.

The moderation is lacking when it comes to the types of posts that are allowed at WHT. Some of the biggest offenders are those that post their support questions on WHT when they should be asking their provider for help. Then you have the people that have really unrealistic requests for service and want $4000 servers for $30/mo. And finally the ones that come to WHT to bitch that it took more than 5 seconds to get their order processed and were completely offended that the reason their order was held up was because they used someone else's credentials and a stolen credit card.

99.9% of the post at WHT are crap, I'll give you that. But I have rarely if ever seen them delete any of these crap posts. If they are now, its a great step in the right direction.

I see your point but I think its a little misconstrued. The concept of a "crap post" is a little different for you and for me. WHT may be a hosting forum but above all its a great learning place. All those cases you mentioned might seem very silly for you and me but they are hella serious for the person who posts them.

Many people seeking help also contacted their providers first but found no answer or got a ridiculous answer from the host. The ones with unrealistic requests have such just because they are novice users and don't know better. If you encounter hosting for the first time and see a ludicrous offer like HG's $1 dollar all unlimited hosting and see some review sites that HG are the best what will you logically think? If I can take so much for so little money, a great big server shouldn't cost much more... As for fraudsters, spending many many years in the business I've noticed that most of them prefer to stay hidden as possible. Stealing someone's CC credentials and going on a huge public forum to moan about a delayed order is something that happens really rarely. Its much easier for them to just move to the next company and try there (Hell, they will find a place where it works). At the end of the day most hosts use WHT for the ads and exposure while clients use it to get some help and as more experienced users we shouldn't deny them such just because their question is rather silly. This is what the hosting customer service mostly does after all.

Now spammers and copied one-line responses with no usefulness or affiliation to the question is a whole other story. Those should be banished from any forum's land and I do think that WHT is doing very good in this aspect (mostly compared to around 10 more forums I frequently visit). :rolleyes2

Hmmmmm.....
I think there is someone with too much anger with EHT..
well i think anything takes time to kick start .
If you go for the traffic you will find something better than that what are you thinking..
so, i you have to patience for anything ....
Its my view only

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your advice to avoid WHT. It's a heavily moderated forum with lots of safeguards built-in.

They do delete posts and clean up threads all the time, but just because you ask them to delete a post, that's not reason enough for them to do it.

If you don't like the way you were treated there, there are certainly a ton of other web hosting forums to frequent. Hosting Discussion has been around for years, and many of our members also frequent WHT, but we're a little different here, I think in a good way.

YAY, necromancy :p

TBH, I am a bit unsure about the future of WHT, as over the past year or so it's just gone on a huge downhill slide.. Case in point

WHT's SSL certificate expired on 01-15 . They were notified by me of this, rather than having their own team discern and correct this.

How long did it take to correct this? Oh good Lord... I think that finally went into full affect last night. So, a week

WHT's leadership has fallen quite a bit over the past year or so, as shown by various things such as lack of helpdesk, memberships, etc. It's just a complete and utter mess since the new ownership has taken over. I won't even get into the petty personal actions taken by a specific 'Community Leader', as those are just ugly.

WHT was great, at one time, but sadly, it's just not there any more. The current owners could care less about the property, and it feels like a good deal of the 'Community Leaders' have the same approach.

Yeah, I'm still there, but when one has to worry constantly about what they say for fear of 'permban', it's not a good thing.

YAY, necromancy :p

TBH, I am a bit unsure about the future of WHT, as over the past year or so it's just gone on a huge downhill slide.. Case in point

WHT's SSL certificate expired on 01-15 . They were notified by me of this, rather than having their own team discern and correct this.

How long did it take to correct this? Oh good Lord... I think that finally went into full affect last night. So, a week

WHT's leadership has fallen quite a bit over the past year or so, as shown by various things such as lack of helpdesk, memberships, etc. It's just a complete and utter mess since the new ownership has taken over. I won't even get into the petty personal actions taken by a specific 'Community Leader', as those are just ugly.

WHT was great, at one time, but sadly, it's just not there any more. The current owners could care less about the property, and it feels like a good deal of the 'Community Leaders' have the same approach.

Yeah, I'm still there, but when one has to worry constantly about what they say for fear of 'permban', it's not a good thing.

Glad that I am not the only one experiencing less than "optimum" experience there.

The previous owners sold it because it was starting to go downhill.

I am not a member of WHT (i reported a member for abuse and they remain and i was perm banned) , but often look over it as it does look like its going downhill