Webhostingtalk

The previous owners sold it because it was starting to go downhill.

I am not a member of WHT (i reported a member for abuse and they remain and i was perm banned) , but often look over it as it does look like its going downhill

Well look on the "bright side" here will likely getting more members if it haven't already been. :)

Nobody 'sold' WHT. Penton itself was sold to Informa. That's what Penton did, and that's why they bought the property in the first place (to build up their profile).

As far as WHT and it being sold because it was 'going downhill', that's rubbish too. Of course you're biased, because you were 'permbanned for pointing out someone' (I call BS on that one), but WHT truly wasn't going downhill until Informa took the lead

At least with Penton behind things (or those behind them), we had some pretty good leadership. Dennis, while I thought an ass was actually good at what he did, keeping the ship afloat. ProHacker was freaking awesome at what he did. From a technical standpoint, he kicked ass.

Yes, things were going down a bit, but that's called natural forum progression. Most aren't using forums any more. However, the massive issues started coming in when Informa came in and replaced both of those individuals (PH may have left a bit earlier, but IIRC he was still with Penton).

I've been around on WHT for a good 15 years now (sheesh), and have seen a lot of crap, but the current crap by Informa is worse than anything I've seen on a user level. That, and, the threats by those who shall not be named.

Nobody 'sold' WHT. Penton itself was sold to Informa. That's what Penton did, and that's why they bought the property in the first place (to build up their profile).

As far as WHT and it being sold because it was 'going downhill', that's rubbish too. Of course you're biased, because you were 'permbanned for pointing out someone' (I call BS on that one), but WHT truly wasn't going downhill until Informa took the lead

At least with Penton behind things (or those behind them), we had some pretty good leadership. Dennis, while I thought an ass was actually good at what he did, keeping the ship afloat. ProHacker was freaking awesome at what he did. From a technical standpoint, he kicked ass.

Yes, things were going down a bit, but that's called natural forum progression. Most aren't using forums any more. However, the massive issues started coming in when Informa came in and replaced both of those individuals (PH may have left a bit earlier, but IIRC he was still with Penton).

I've been around on WHT for a good 15 years now (sheesh), and have seen a lot of crap, but the current crap by Informa is worse than anything I've seen on a user level. That, and, the threats by those who shall not be named.

i was talking when it was sold to Penton. Penton gave it a boost it needed

@RDPproviders, this thread was last commented in 2015. Always a good idea to check the date of a thread before replying to it, making sure we aren't bringing ancient discussions back in action.

Having said that, it was almost on point. A couple of days ago I received my first infraction of 5 points for something that I believe was so wishy washy it was almost funny to get an infraction for.

Of all people, I try to communicate elsewhere the way I'd want people to communicate here on HD. So I re-read the forum-specific rules twice to make sure I wasn't breaking any. Anyhoo, they saw it differently, which kind of opens things up to a wide range of interpretations.

Certainly as moderators they have the final say over anything that goes and they can interpret their rules the way they see fit. Us members can only go by written word.

I accepted the penalty, but what was more disappointing is that no consideration is given for age, history of violations or status of a certain member. Was it really necessary to go straight to an infraction? Probably not. It was completely within their power to issue a warning instead. Maybe a personal message. The kind of practice we've been running at HD since inception. My advice to any board owner has always been: when circumstance and time permits, stay personal - members appreciate that kind of attention. It takes more time, but it goes a long way and provides for a more positive experience for members.

I would have to disagree. I've been there for maybe 8 years, and what it was before and now...huge difference. Before, a quality post or trainwreck post led to all sorts of responses that you couldn't keep up with. Now...it feels like there's 3 new posts a day, and 2 or 3 responses. Some sections that had a few new topics a day is now a new topic a week...and maybe a response or two within a week. A real ghost town.

Then, we have to factor in the moderation, or over-handed say and do nothing approach. Put it this way...years ago I could get into an argument with someone, and it go on for pages and pages before getting an infraction. Now, one wrong statement and instant sig infraction. I just got suspended during the holidays before someone posted asking about a theme using PHP 5.2. I told them were on 7 now. Then the person asked about using a host with PHP 5.2, and I told the same applies, hosts are on 7 now. I get hit with a suspension because 7 is in my sig...mean while others are spamming nonsense, basically encouraging the person to use PHP 5.2, or the usual "use this host" with only 7 posts to their profile. No question if they even used such host, which clearly anyone with 7 posts hasn't, or is shilling. It's not the same. During the holidays they sent out an email of the news section being shut down. Now it just forwards WHT's home page. Of course I couldn't see what people were saying due to the suspension, and I really didn't care. There's been many suggestions that could have helped, but were ignored or seen as not useful...but yet, a host could scam people for almost 3 years on there, and when questioned why this is happening, the reply was because they didn't break WHT rules. Ass-backwards. Every other forum banned that "host", but not WHT. It took them 3 years to ban them. That alone was a huge turn off for many users.

Progressing is one thing, but I came from an industry where it was going downhill...and it's still there. Many left the industry for such reasons, and those who are in it and understand it, will admit to it going downhill.

Last edited:
I had an issue with one of the admins he banned me for having 2 accounts at the time i was unaware of this and apologised.

ever since he has always had an issue with my by deleting my posts adverts and giving infractions.

I am adhering to all there rules but for some reason.

I have had a much better experience with this forum.

I had an issue with one of the admins he banned me for having 2 accounts at the time i was unaware of this and apologised.

[...]

I have had a much better experience with this forum.

As long as you don't have 2 accounts here as well. :smash:

The point was he was sorry about it. I don't understand why they could of disabled the newer one and just let him move on.

Instead of apparently "holding a grudge".

If I done anything wrong let me know and it would happen again but i don't understand the reason behind it.

The point was he was sorry about it. I don't understand why they could of disabled the newer one and just let him move on.

Spot on. That happened numerous times before and if I see a member is legitimate and there was no intent to break the rules, I'd always give options to either merge accounts or keep one of them.

I would have to disagree. I've been there for maybe 8 years, and what it was before and now...huge difference. Before, a quality post or trainwreck post led to all sorts of responses that you couldn't keep up with. Now...it feels like there's 3 new posts a day, and 2 or 3 responses. Some sections that had a few new topics a day is now a new topic a week...and maybe a response or two within a week. A real ghost town.

Then, we have to factor in the moderation, or over-handed say and do nothing approach. Put it this way...years ago I could get into an argument with someone, and it go on for pages and pages before getting an infraction. Now, one wrong statement and instant sig infraction. I just got suspended during the holidays before someone posted asking about a theme using PHP 5.2. I told them were on 7 now. Then the person asked about using a host with PHP 5.2, and I told the same applies, hosts are on 7 now. I get hit with a suspension because 7 is in my sig...mean while others are spamming nonsense, basically encouraging the person to use PHP 5.2, or the usual "use this host" with only 7 posts to their profile. No question if they even used such host, which clearly anyone with 7 posts hasn't, or is shilling. It's not the same. During the holidays they sent out an email of the news section being shut down. Now it just forwards WHT's home page. Of course I couldn't see what people were saying due to the suspension, and I really didn't care. There's been many suggestions that could have helped, but were ignored or seen as not useful...but yet, a host could scam people for almost 3 years on there, and when questioned why this is happening, the reply was because they didn't break WHT rules. Ass-backwards. Every other forum banned that "host", but not WHT. It took them 3 years to ban them. That alone was a huge turn off for many users.

Progressing is one thing, but I came from an industry where it was going downhill...and it's still there. Many left the industry for such reasons, and those who are in it and understand it, will admit to it going downhill.
people are scared to write anything on WHT in fear of being banned for saying the wrong thing.

people are scared to write anything on WHT in fear of being banned for saying the wrong thing.

I won't deny that some are, yes. However, overall, not so much

Most people are just fine there, but over the past few days I've seen threats from a certain 'leader', users 'demoted' simply because they dared to mention other hosting forum possibilities (elsewhere), etc.

Overall, it's definitely not the place it was, even a year ago.

In fairness, I also wanted to say that WHT is far from being broken and there are enough amazing people working behind the scenes.

I have recently had an issue when I was getting lots of marketing emails from Penton to an email address that was only registered with WHT (which I never used to sign up for any newsletters). Tried unsubscribing multiple times to no avail - advertising still comes. So I asked if Penton was selling our data, which with recent Informa acquisition isn't that big of a stretch and found a number of people who are in the same position:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1686627

Andy (aka Postbox) has come forward to try to resolve the issue for me. He took quite an active role investigating, getting some answers for me and eventually reaching someone responsible. He even went as far as posting the response from that person with her email address that welcomed anyone with a similar issue to contact her. It would have been great, but I noticed that his post was deleted shortly after. It was probably against Penton's interest to keep it public. Bottom line is I appreciate what Postbox did and how he was handling the situation, staying in active communication with me, keeping me updated. THAT is what forum leadership is supposed to do for its members, no matter how big or small. The only sad thing is that he wasn't given a chance to bring the issue to some level of public resolution.

In fairness, I also wanted to say that WHT is far from being broken and there are enough amazing people working behind the scenes.

I have recently had an issue when I was getting lots of marketing emails from Penton to an email address that was only registered with WHT (which I never used to sign up for any newsletters). Tried unsubscribing multiple times to no avail - advertising still comes. So I asked if Penton was selling our data, which with recent Informa acquisition isn't that big of a stretch and found a number of people who are in the same position:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1686627

Andy (aka Postbox) has come forward to try to resolve the issue for me. He took quite an active role investigating, getting some answers for me and eventually reaching someone responsible. He even went as far as posting the response from that person with her email address that welcomed anyone with a similar issue to contact her. It would have been great, but I noticed that his post was deleted shortly after. It was probably against Penton's interest to keep it public. Bottom line is I appreciate what Postbox did and how he was handling the situation, staying in active communication with me, keeping me updated. THAT is what forum leadership is supposed to do for its members, no matter how big or small. The only sad thing is that he wasn't given a chance to bring the issue to some level of public resolution.

It's technically is broken when Penton did that. No matter what a "back end" company should not step in like that.

They shouldn't either reported it just like any other members or if was believed to be illegal statements (ie slander) then they shouldn't put in a court order.

Because frankly that like me going on a customer's site and deleting bad sayings about my company's. :uhh:

If you have to rely on your clients to tell you your website certificate is down, your model is broken

If you have to keep a part of your website down for a year + just because nobody knows how to fix it (helpdesk), your website is broken

If your 'memberships' pages have been broken, and have not been fixed, leading to people having 'free premium memberships', then your website is broken

If it takes you a week to put together a certificate for a website, then you don't have 'amazing people working behind the scenes'.

If you (as a community leader) threaten to revoke someone's membership to a website (or go so far as to demote them in title) because they discuss other websites, or opening their own elsewhere (not even at WHT), then you are not part of 'amazing people working behind the scenes'. you are the problem, not the solution.

If you rely on paranoia and fear to control your members (ie: people being afraid to post something that'll piss off WHT members), then your website is broken

It's really that simple. WHT WAS great. However, the current incarnation is nothing but a hack of what it once was. I could go on and on and on about the problems, but the fact is that this is not even remotely close to what it was

AAAAND this just made me chuckle a little bit. Talk about over moderation.

Created a thread regarding industry announcements, linking to two possible posts as reasons for it... What did I get?

You can't make this crap up! Not a single rule violation, but hey, we'll throw in an infraction for the hell of it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 01-31-18 at 08.28 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 01-31-18 at 08.28 PM.PNG
    212.7 KB · Views: 10
The site be down of hrs already

Up from here?
They did acknowledge a few outages today, and said there was an issue that they resolved. Looks like Postbox was on top of that this afternoon?

If it's down for you, maybe has something to do with your network that was part of the 'issue'? Not sure

currently with WHT is if your face fits you are OK, if it does not they will try all ways to remove you from their forum