joomla or wordpress

Wordpress all the way.
Very commonly used. Every other web related person knows enough about it. Above all, very supportive and helpfu community, can be found all over the internet. And much more, including huge variety of budget options.

My vote is also for wordpress as it is simple and user friendly and can be used by lay man without much knowledge in this field but joomla might be a bit more heavier than wordpress for normal persons

If you are having a deep understanding of technical things, then you can surely go with Joomla. WordPress is user friendly and can be managed by non-technical person.

Regarding security, both CMS provides the same level of security. So you can go with any of them.

Haven't tested Joomla for any of my websites. Wordpress of the other hand, I used it ever since it was born. I used it every day basically, though in recent years I started using Magento more then Wordpress.

for making a news portal which is better joomla or wordpress

For a blogging styled News Site / Wordpress / for a user login and more CMS based type portal site Joomla ...

It's really up to your use case and preference based on usability.

Try them both out see what fits your needs and wants ... hard to say which one as they are a bit different and really are best in class each in their way.

I have sites that run Word Press / a hosting site - I have a blog on wordpress and blogger - I also have a tech site on Joomla

All the best!

Dave

Wordpress is more good because you can found almost everthink in web about any type of webiste.
But I think worpdress is not that stable when you have a high traffic site.
So the alternative is a site based on Drupal or custom MVC. the best solution in my opion.

I used to run Joomla on a small news site that was a personal project of mine a few years ago, and the experience left me with a bitter taste. I have since used WordPress on a lot of projects and find it superb.

Also, the WordPress community is bigger and more active thanks to the large user base - if you want something custom done, you will most likely find someone has already done it and posted a guide on how it can be done.

Yep, I agree with you. But you have companies such as Wix who are advertising a great deal and people love the simplicity of it. I have a feeling they might be getting more than a foot in the door with CMS/web design soon... If they start to allow Wix with other hosts than themselves it could get interesting.

Wordpress is best as compare to Joomla because of number of themes and plugins available for Wordpress in market as compare to Joomla and its easy to manage without any technical expertise

I prefer WordPress. At last count they hold 25% of all of the websites out there and are the most user friendly for my customers to use.

Wordpress is really best as its easily manageable and lots of good themes/plugins available in market and more important support is available easily for any issue as compare to Joomla.

I use both, Joomla and wordpress and I recommended Joomla because specially for news website.

But If you are technically weak then wordpress is much better because of you can easily find programmer/developers who can help you at very affordable price while Joomla is good for advance users.

Wordpress can be used by novice.

Go for wordpress. It is better than any other CMS software. I use wordpress.

Its so easy to customize and edit content in wordpress.

Well, Both are related to risk because these two are very bad in terms of security but still wordpress take the chance on the security because there are lots of plugins for wordpress to protect from the hackers. Many of our client using wordpress for thier news portal and they didn't get any problem with the wordpress yet. So on the basis of their feedback i would suggest you to go with wordpress from both of them.