joomla or wordpress

I also would suggest Wordpress, it has a larger community, themes/plugins than Joomla. It's also easy to use. I used to use Joomla since 2007 but now I totally switch to Wordpress on all my sites.

Wordpress is the best

I think for creating a new portal, wordpress should be choosen as it is more user friendly and easy to use.

WordPress is very easy to use, many plugins, easy to find WP coder to write something custom... So I vote for WP :)

Both WordPress and Joomla are complex CMSs, you can create and manage just about any type of website using them. In some ways, Joomla is more flexible than WordPress, however It beats out Joomla when it comes to SEO, customization possibilities, and content management.

Also voting WordPress. While there's always some subjectivity in making these choices, I'd think that WordPress is slightly more user-friendly. Additionally a news site is actually closer to its original purpose, blogging which makes life a bit nicer.

You can go with Wordpress, easier to use, is the biggest CMS in the world and is a blogging platform, you can customize it as much detail as you want or you can buy any news theme.

Wordpress is more scale able compare to Joomla and wordpress has large community of software developer so its No of plugins and theam are higher than the joomla.

Wordpress would be the ideal choice considering how easy it is to design a website using Wordpress CMS as compared to Joomla. Joomla seems a bit complicated to me. You also have a lot of options to customize Wordpress without any hassle.

I think another key point to Wordpress is the sheer amount of choice with plugins and themes....Wordpress just has way more in this department!

Not hugely important for those that are very good with code, but I think Wordpress appeals more to those at a lower level of coding skill

I think that WP has more friendly approach to the end user and there is super nice plugins that make it into very simple build a web page, almost like a lego. Example of such builder you could find from ElegantThemes.

I personally love Wordpress. Its very user friendly and when ever I have faced any issue, I have got it resolved in a few hours. so my vote goes to Wordpress.